Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

The Amazing Lisa Ono

Pages: 1 10 replies

TM

Of all the Brazilian singers, Lisa Ono is probably my favorite besides Gracinha Leporace. In this day and age, it is nice to hear someone still performing the classic style of bossa nova...

Please enjoy one of Brazil's greatest treasures: Lisa Ono!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS3KFPQx1o4&list=PLxZrGeKXgn8uyAsNNzXLFTUiIB77BIM2F

S

thanks for sharing lucas. i love her version of 'corcovado'. always takes me back to good times

T

Lisa Ono is amazing!

First heard her on The Quiet Village Podcast and was blown away!

Her version of Beyond The Reef is my all time favorite rendition of that song... the instrumentation and her vocals take me to a place and time that could only exist in the imaginary Tiki Culture paradise to which we all try to escape when we visit a tiki bar or restaurant...

She performs and tours, too! I'm hoping one day she'll grace So Cal with a performance... I will SO be there!!!

T

Tobunga, I first heard Lisa Ono on DigiTiki's #33 and 46 podcasts, I really liked her sound. I finally have a copy of Bossa Hula Nova coming!

Sure wish someone had filmed the tour she did with Teresa Bright that may have been the inspiration for this CD.

aloha, tikicoma

TM

What's truly awesome about her (and I am getting close to owning all her albums)is that not only is she a talented singer and nylon guitarist, she also has written a lot of the songs on her albums. Some of them sounded so classic, I assumed they were older songs by established brazilian artists, only to read the album credits and realize she authored them. Amazing, amazing talent.

I had to order most of the CDs straight from Japan. It's a shame they are not more available, so there is a bit of a wait for each one. A wait well worth it, because on each of her albums, they read like a whose who of Brazilian artists...as well as the talented kids of the original masters....the "sidemen" she has are the cream of the crop. The last names alone, Jobim, Caymi, etc...if you know about brazilian music...those names mean something.

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2014-03-01 14:38 ]

TM

On 2014-02-28 21:51, tikicoma wrote:
Tobunga, I first heard Lisa Ono on DigiTiki's #33 and 46 podcasts, I really liked her sound. I finally have a copy of Bossa Hula Nova coming!

Sure wish someone had filmed the tour she did with Teresa Bright that may have been the inspiration for this CD.

aloha, tikicoma

This is a great album. It is a really different take on hawaiian music...more inspired by, then being authentic. This album was recorded in japan, so she uses japanese musicians....

Another album she has done that is in a similar vein is "asia"....that is one I highly recommend to tiki people, as she takes a real lounge approach in the instrumentation and attitude, basically playing jazzy versions of asian folk songs from around the world, extending and substituting chords to make it much better than the original versions.....

http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2014-03-01 16:24 ]

T

Ooh! I didn't know about the Asia album, it sounds great! I'll have to look into it!

Funny to hear about you having to wait to get your next Lisa Ono fix... but as you said, it's worth waiting!

I wonder if there's any way we can petition (or beg, coerce or plead) her to perform here... I went to her website once and sent a message asking when she'll be in the States next, but sadly never got a reply... but I may have screwed up sending it... I'm not very computer savvy. Plus, I'm a bit of a dope in general.

TM

here is a taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5FdoiFj0TI&list=PLBB7B2810622F60E3

Mind blowingly good. Check out the sax solo at the end!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2014-03-01 16:27 ]

This is kind of an odd question, but to those who bought Lisa Ono's brilliant BOSSA HULA NOVA, did it come with the standard OBI strip that folds around the gutter side of the jewel case? If it did, then I seem to have misplaced the one that came with my copy and it's kind of driving me nuts. I just bought BOSSA HULA NOVA this past month so recent pressings may not have an OBI strip? But I thought all CDs from Japan have them?

Thanks for your help, guys!

T

My copy of Bossa Hula Nova was manufactured by EMI Taiwan, not in Japan. So I guess not made in Japan no obi strip.

aloha, tikicoma

On 2014-03-30 21:00, tikicoma wrote:
My copy of Bossa Hula Nova was manufactured by EMI Taiwan, not in Japan. So I guess not made in Japan no obi strip.

aloha, tikicoma

Thanks for that. I'll have to check where my copy was manufactured because I can't find the OBI strip anywhere. I usually put Japanese import CDs into resealable sleeves upon receipt to avoid losing those pesky OBI strips. The fact that I didn't do that leads me to believe my copy never came with one.

Pages: 1 10 replies