Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Hidden tikis in the desert... kinda

Pages: 1 12 replies

Z

Who's seen these guys before? They're in the middle of a desert. Imaginary bitcoin to the winner :)

H

I know exactly where those are! I'll let someone else try a shot at the answer. In the meantime here are a few photos I took the last time passing by (around Chistmas hence the hanging ornaments).

I tried zooming in on the trash can, bulletin board and easel but no luck :lol:

Z

On 2014-02-27 19:33, Hakalugi wrote:
I know exactly where those are! I'll let someone else try a shot at the answer. In the meantime here are a few photos I took the last time passing by (around Chistmas hence the hanging ornaments).

The ornaments are still there! But I didn't see the carved head to the left of them. I didn't get the low-down as to why these were carved in the first place. If you know, please tell!

H

On 2014-02-28 18:10, Zinctiki wrote:

On 2014-02-27 19:33, Hakalugi wrote:
I know exactly where those are! I'll let someone else try a shot at the answer. In the meantime here are a few photos I took the last time passing by (around Christmas hence the hanging ornaments).

The ornaments are still there! But I didn't see the carved head to the left of them. I didn't get the low-down as to why these were carved in the first place. If you know, please tell!

That's funny, I guess the ornaments are a permanent fixture. And unfortunately, no, I didn't get the details on the carvings either.

T

Is that the Mojave Oasis? I haven't been there yet, so it's just a guess

Z

On 2014-02-28 20:00, Tele295 wrote:
Is that the Mojave Oasis? I haven't been there yet, so it's just a guess

Nope. But that's a good guess! It's also an oasis - different desert.

TM

Is it near the salton sea?

H

Palm Springs, Palm Desert?

http://coachellavalleypreserve.org

Great spot. But yeah, only sorta Tikis. The only bearded face I accept as being Tiki is Kon Tiki the sun god, and I don't think that was the intention here. Still, well worth a visit.

And I think the ornaments are hummingbird feeders :)

T

Man I spent a half hour today figuring out were this is only to find that BigBro had spilled the beans! Aren't you supposed to be writing book or something? Get back to work!

[ Edited by: tikicoma 2014-03-02 13:40 ]

I didn't want to cheat, as I knew about this from an episode of
Huell Howser's show, I will see if I can find it online & post a link

Was this ever discussed on TC before now?

Z

Bigbro: Yeah, I posted here since it's not exactly tiki. But close!

ATP: I checked before posting and the preserve hadn't been discussed from what I could find.

It's a cool place in the desert, literally, and I'd never known palms were not trees but the largest of the grass family - per a seemingly knowledgeable guide - and that palms 'drink' about 140 gallons of water per day(!) They generally don't die in fires because of the dense water in the trunks, instead usually only the skirts burn off. Supposedly if you drill a hole in a palm, water will pour out.

The preserve sits on top of the San Andreas fault, the hills are the high side and the water and palms are on the low side. There are also unique fish indigenous to the ponds.

https://tinyurl.com/qyt7sbm

Pages: 1 12 replies