Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

And you thought it only happened with tiki mugs...

Pages: 1 10 replies

T

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2334417019&category=38202&rd=1

I was hoping to win these. And I was also hoping that the seller wouldn't figure out what they really were. SOmebody obviously e-mailed with some deep pockets and a good sob story!

T

Art Deco?????

Sorry you didn't win it tikifish. You deserve to have it more than the seller!

T

Yeah, I was willing to rent a van and pay a friend to drive me 4 hours to Detroit to pick it up and everything. I was even willing to pay duty at the border. But after bidding up to 201.00 and still not hitting the reserve, I wondered if the seller was so dumb after all - maybe he was playing dumb?

Of course, they are worth about a grand, but for me, if I can't get it cheap it ruins the fun.

Art Deco and 1970's?!

I saw a set like this in a thrift store in Stockton, CA a while back for about three hundred bucks. The chairs were smoked black and translucent. So cool.

I walked into the thrift store ten minutes after someone else had just bought them. It still kills me to think about that.

Really a grand?? Thats good to know, I have the same set just with more chairs, but I have never seen them go much over 500 bucks...I think the location is what helps drive up the price. I can't stand it when auctions end early like that...I'm a seller and I would never do that!

Really a grand?? Thats good to know, I have the same set just with more chairs, but I have never seen them go much over 500 bucks...I think the location is what helps drive up the price. I can't stand it when auctions end early like that...I'm a seller and I would never do that!

T

Check 'saarinen tulip chairs' on Ebay and you will see the going price. There are also knockoffs by a company called Burke which command amost as high prices, and the set I have is a knockoff too, but not sure who made it, though I think it may have been made in Quebec cause I keep seeing the chairs sold from there.

ohhhh...well, I did know that the Knoll ones do command really high prices, but the one in the auction you mentioned is a knockoff, like the one I guess we both have. I like the original but not so much more that I would ever shell out the dough for it, you can buy them new from Knoll and they are even more expensive that the old ones!

T

I thought that auction was real Knoll... the table looked suspicious but I was pretty sure the chairs were real. I checked them against photos fo the real thing and they looked exactly alike.

I am almost certain it is not. I have the exact same set as pictured. Its a really close copy (one of the reasons I love it so much) but if you look at the base those chairs taper really thin then almost have a bulbous shape to the bottom of the pedestal, the originals bases are more of a straight smooth pedestal going down, more like the bottom of the table. The tops of the chairs are also slightly more angular than the originals, and made of a slightly thinner fiberglass than the thicker plastic of the originals. Its the harder to find copy though, alot of the Burke ones have that star base to bottom, still cool but I held out for the pedestal. So, hopefully whoever got the auction to end paid an outrageous price! Of course I could still be wrong, but I spend a silly amount of time studying my furniture..pathetic LOL!

T

Good to know!
I will consult you more often on these matters before I bid on anything else, ahah!

Pages: 1 10 replies