Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Searching for Windows sound schemes

Pages: 1 10 replies

Hi, all. I have a couple of Hawaiian themed Windows desktop themes (Windows 7), but they don't have custom sound schemes associated with them. Does anyone have, or know of the existence of, any Windows sound schemes that I can install on my computer to accompany my desktop images? Mahalo!

[ Edited by: CarmineDeMarco 2014-03-04 14:37 ]

This should be in Beyond Tiki.....

Thanks for the heads-up, much appreciated! So that I can avoid such faux-pas in the future, could you please let me know why my content is considered "Beyond Tiki"? I would think that a question about a tiki-themed sound scheme for a computer would appropriately be in this forum. Thanks!

Sure CarmineDeMarco, since this is not directly related to Mid Century Tiki
historically speaking, it falls in the category of Tiki Phone cases, Tiki toys etc.
that sort of thing, This is why we have threads like Beyond Tiki so we don't get to far
off subject & clutter up the general threads.

TM

On 2014-03-04 14:37, CarmineDeMarco wrote:
Hi, all. I have a couple of Hawaiian themed Windows desktop themes (Windows 7), but they don't have custom sound schemes associated with them. Does anyone have, or know of the existence of, any Windows sound schemes that I can install on my computer to accompany my desktop images? Mahalo!

[ Edited by: CarmineDeMarco 2014-03-04 14:37 ]

Carmine, I don't think what you are asking for really exists...at any rate, this is supposed to be a forum focusing on mid century american tiki...which is really an offshoot of lounge culture. You will find a lot of people that don't really consider just anything from hawaii to be "tiki".....
and this forum has (in the past) been invaded by people looking for anything related to island living or carribbean stuff, or Jimmy Buffet. Please don't be offended by my good friend Atomic Tiki Punk's answer to you.

To try and answer your question, on my own computer I have nothing but wallpapers of tropical beach scenes...I like nothing better to look at, unless it is misty forests...it would be cool to have sounds like Martin Denny bird calls or the swoop of a steel guitar when I make certain keyboard actions....but as of yet, no one has made any "theme" where you get all those things. You could just make wave files of certain sounds, and then add them to your computer's sound effects.....

What I do is just have cool CDs playing in the back ground whenever I do my 9 hours a day on my work computer. I love vintage hawaiian music and I also love vintage exotica music...it is soft and relaxin enough that my co-workers are not bothered by it. I also have CDs such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sleepy-Rain-Delta-Brianwave-Pulses/dp/B000PHW2KO/ref=sr_1_6?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1393988493&sr=1-6&keywords=dr.+jeffrey+thompson

And I find them to be very relaxing while staring at a tropical beach scene, probably on hold on the phone and wishing I was actually there.

Since you are here, and a new member, take a while to look around. Tiki Central has some of the coolest and most original artists, decorators, sculptors, mixologists, historians and musicians around, maybe more then most other forums do. Even "lay people" here are mostly experts in the phenomena known as "Tiki".

There are books out there like "Book of tiki" that may be hard too find, but really show what it is all about. There are many old bands such as Arthur Lyman, les Baxter and Martin Denny that serve as the sound track for our "culture"

Here is one of the most famous tunes, and the best example of "tiki" music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9C2tHYZ3R8

There are also great bands such as Tikiyaki Orchestra, Martini Kings, Don Ho and Ixtahuele that are modern incarnations and the best examples of modern tiki revival music. ANY of their albums would be worth purchasing.

Please check out the home bar and also the tropical drinks section to get an idea of what we are all about.

There are also many artists that carve, paint or sculp stuff here. Some are incredibly famous, or will be once they are dead! :) Check out the work of Shag, Doug Horne, Ken Ruzik, Squid, Big Toe, Tobungu Bamboo Ben, and soooooooooooo many others who regularly post here! (check out the tiki gallery)

There is also a large subset of tiki that is more tied into surf, low brow art, tattoo art, comic book art, Kar Kulture, rockabilly and other things of that nature. For some here, that is what they like best.

Other, like myself, freely mix authentic tiki with "Hawaiiana"......

Spend some time here and you will find amazing things....but probably no cool window themes!

:)

Whatever you do, never mention either Party City or Jimmy Buffett! If you do, people like Atomic Tiki Punk will jump through your computer and punch your balls off!

Hi, Lucas, you sound similar to me. My office is Tiki decor, and I listen variously to exotica and Hawaiian during the course of my day, as well as in the car (though not exclusively)...could be Arthur Lyman one moment, and Don Ho or "Bruddah Iz" the next. For me, it's all good...guess I wouldn't be considered a Tiki "purist", it's a pretty fun thing for me without any seriousness. I wear Hawaiian shirts (I'm guessing that's not done by too many here) and I play a pineapple-shaped ukelele (eek!). I searched, but there are no "Tiki" Windows themes that I could find...but there are tropical beach scenes, Hawaiian scenes, etc. I guess I just wasn't aware that I was violating protocol in this community, in not understanding that a forum named "General Tiki" specifically meant only postings about mid-century American Tiki only - particularly in light of a close-in-time thread within that very forum about Mardi Gras. (I would think that would be WAY "beyond"!) I frequent two Polynesian joints here in North Jersey - Lee's Hawaiian Islander in Lyndhurst, and Chan's Dragon Inn in Ridgefield...have some nice pics from each. Our family also stays at the Tahiti Inn when we vacation down in Ocean City, NJ. Anyway, your generous welcome was much appreciated - mahalo (again Hawaiian, not Tiki, but now at least I know I'm in the right place to say that!).

TM

On 2014-03-05 20:27, CarmineDeMarco wrote:
I guess I just wasn't aware that I was violating protocol in this community, in not understanding that a forum named "General Tiki" specifically meant only postings about mid-century American Tiki only - particularly in light of a close-in-time thread within that very forum about Mardi Gras. (I would think that would be WAY "beyond"!)

It has generally been accepted here that as long as an image, subject, idea, or concept has an actual Tiki in it.....then it belongs. For example, if you are a hard rock band, and you put a tiki idol on your album cover....then you are now considered a "tiki" band. Likewise, there was a tiki in that mardi gras image, so therefore, most here would consider it tiki. I have tangled with a lot of people on this forum over these things, as I sometimes find their connections to tiki rather nebulous, to say the least. Especially when it comes to music, or to tiki mugs or carvings that are more about Kar Kulture (and feature eyeballs, skulls, shrunken heads, etc)....

I don't agree with that concept at all, but it is what it is!

My vision of tiki is more like walt Disney's vision of tiki. I don't exclude Hawaiian themed ideas or concepts at all. I am often hated for my comments here, but am beyond caring any more. I don't really like surf rock or low brow art...but as usual, can find particular things within those realms that I do like....

as for Hawaiian shirts, most of us wear them, but it is generally accepted that tommy bahama or store bought shirts are not usually cool, and that vintage bark cloth shirts are VERY cool.....

Anyway, welcome to tiki central!

Here is the official tiki central mission statement:

"Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central is a place to celebrate the classic Tiki Bars of the mid-century and the design aesthetic they established. This movement grew in popularity after World War II when America had a new fascination with the South Seas and Hawaii. Tiki Bars sought to bring an idealized tropical paradise into the concrete jungle of the Modern World. Very little of it was genuine -- born mostly out of the likes of Hollywood art directors and modern architects -- but it all seemed real to a then-naïve public’s eye. The Tiki style started in bars and restaurants but soon spilled over into all forms of popular culture, including music, food, dress, TV and movies, and other forms of architecture.

The Tiki that Tiki Central focuses on is a mid-century American invention that is Polynesia-inspired. We’re here to discuss classic Tiki, what made it great, how to celebrate it and preserve it today, and how to create and influence new Tiki that isn’t generic, watered down, or misguided. The definitive guide is The Book Of Tiki, and we highly recommend that everyone on Tiki Central get the book and read up.

What Tiki Central Isn't

Everyone here at Tiki Central is passionate about the Polynesian Pop movement. While the exact edges are blurry, we can give you a bit of insight into what Tiki Central is not about:
•It’s not about Jimmy Buffett and Parrotheads
•It’s not modern plastic, brightly-colored tiki party decorations
•It’s not about the Caribbean/Key west design aesthetic
•It’s not about Reggae
•It’s not about African-art inspired masks/carvings/design
•It’s not about Margaritas and tequila-based drinks
•It's not about simply anything that has a tiki on it or in it

It is okay to like one or more of the above and be a member of Tiki Central, just remember that it's not our focus. There are plenty of places on the web for that. We encourage new users who may not know what Tiki is to read up, search our forums, and ask questions. "

That last bullet "it's not about simply anything tht has a tiki on it or in it" has largely been ignored, and in fact is now the main thing for most tiki people. Often, someone will post something that in all respects is tiki, but is missing an actual tiki image...and people then ask 'WHERE IS THE TIKI?'

Even after 11 years a member here, I don't understand it some times.

Back to your original question, you might be able to search soundcloud for sound effects that you can save to your computer......

[ Edited by: Lucas Vigor 2014-03-06 08:29 ]

H

On 2014-03-06 07:16, lucas vigor wrote:

It has generally been accepted here that as long as an image, subject, idea, or concept has an actual Tiki in it.....then it belongs....

Lucas, don't give this person the wrong impression and perpetuate a problem.

Just to be clear. As excerpted from here (and posted by Lucas above):
http://www.tikicentral.com/about.php

What Tiki Central isn't:
It's not about simply anything that has a tiki on it or in it.

Lucas is just trying to yank some chains as some people here are sometimes a bit too loose about this aspect.

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2014-03-06 07:29 ]

TM

Ha! You put that in while I was editing my last post!

H

Thanks, people. Yes, I read all that coming in, and was trying to abide by this community's rules and guidelines. My main misstep was in construing too broadly the "General" forum's description, "Tiki discussion for topics not covered in the other forums" and in correspondingly misconstruing the "Beyond Tiki" forum's description, "Got something to share that's not Tiki that you think the members of Tiki Central would like it? Share it here. Lounge, Retro, Swing, Cars, Tattoos, Art, and beyond". I guess I just mistakenly thought my question was about "Tiki". :)

Pages: 1 10 replies