Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Outer Limits 50th anniversary art show/book signing Sat, 03.22.14! Check out my work for the show!

Pages: 1 15 replies

T

Hey Everybody!

The cool place where I work is hosting our first art show in our new gallery space!

The classic TV show The Outer Limits is 50 this year... Creature Features is publishing a book entitled The Outer Limits At 50. To celebrate the release, there will be a book signing with the author, David J Schow, and an art show.

The opening reception/book signing is Saturday, March 22nd, from 6 to 10pm.

I have a few pieces in the show... here's photos of one, a ceramic bowl with lid, based on the Zanti Misfits spaceship.

There are some amazing pieces in the show by some awesome artists, including Bernie Wrightson, Greg Nicotero, William Stout, Norman Cabrera, Ricardo Delgado, Frank Dietz, Rebecca Lord, Mike Sosnowski and more!

The show runs through Saturday, April 12, during regular store hours (Tue-Fri 11am-6pm, Sun 11am-4pm)

Creature Features is located at 2904 West Magnolia Blvd, Burbank California 91505
http://www.creaturefeatures.com

http://ericoctober.com

[ Edited by: tobunga 2014-03-18 14:10 ]

LOVE the Outer Limits! Thanks Eric.

T

Thanks ATP!

Here's another piece I have in the show:
The Island Of Zanti Misfit Toys!

We spent today hanging the show, some last minute work to do tomorrow, but it already looks PHENOMENAL!!!

Check out the show if you can, you won't be disappointed!

Hope to see you tomorrow night, 6 to 10pm, at Creature Features 2904 West Magnolia Blvd. Burbank CA!!!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Mar 22, 2014 9:32 PM

Have been nutz about the Outer Limits for a really long time!

So is Larry Blamire, writer/director of The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra, etc.

Here is a great little blog entry by him about Corpus Earthling!

http://wearecontrollingtransmission.blogspot.com/2011/01/spotlight-on-corpus-earthling.html

... and The Invisibles!

http://wearecontrollingtransmission.blogspot.com/2011/01/spotlight-on-invisibles.html

Good luck on the show!

Demon with a Glass Hand.....

T

Thanks for the links Cammo! Interesting reading!

ATP, I know of the Glass Hand episode, but I haven't seen that one yet.

The opening tonight was a HUGE success! We had an incredible turn out, the place was packed! And I was thrilled that two of my ceramic pieces sold!

The show runs through April 12th, check it out if you get a chance!

Just finished my last piece for the Tiki Bob show tomorrow at Tonga Hut... now off to get some shut-eye before then!

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Mar 23, 2014 6:33 AM

Eric -

Congrats, brah!

Here's a link you will especially love -

http://wearecontrollingtransmission.blogspot.com/2011/01/zanti-mania.html

And can you please take some pics of the show (towards the end when it doesn't matter) - more of your pieces and Bernie Wrightson's stuff? Bernie has always scared the royal freaking crap out of me!

Thanks!

T

Hey Cammo!

Here are some photos of the show...

Here's my pieces... I'm thrilled to say that three of them sold already, two on opening night!

I have six ceramic pieces and two small paintings in the show.

Here's the sign for the show:

(Yer still looking at my work! I made the sign, too!)

Here's some shots of the other work in the show:

The show is up until Saturday, April 12, check it out if you get a chance!

Thanks fer lookin'!
Yer pal,
Eric October

Really great work Eric!

C

Yeah, OUT OF THIS WORLD amazing work! I can't believe the work you put into each piece. Wish the show went on longer!!!

Any CDs available of the Outer Limits soundtrack/themes?

Is the Demon With a Glass Hand piece a one-off or a poster run? What's the $$$?

How much are your ceramics going for? And how long have you been working on them for? Do you work there every day, or Mon-Fri???

Who did the life size sculptures????

I'm so interested in this art show!!!!! (Next time you are in SD, give me a ring-a-ding and we can watch one of the episodes you haven't seen, I have the whole series and any excuse to watch OL is a good excuse. We can watch it on my giant backyard home projector theater!)

My fave episodes: EVERY DANG ONE!!!!!

T

Mahalo ATP and Cammo!

Cammo-

I actually had the two Zanti ceramic pieces mostly finished back in January... the Box Demon and the Ichthyosaur were last minute ideas that I completed in the week before the show. I was hoping to create a piece based on the Forms of Things Unknown episode and all the clocks, but I couldn't figure out how to translate it into something ceramic! Since it's a gallery show, the prices of my pieces are like double, so they're around 300 bucks.

Yes! There is a four-disc CD set of Outer Limits music... we carry it at the shop... I'll have to check the price, but it's something like 20 or 25 bucks.

The Demon with the Glass Hand is a digital print of an original... I'll check on the price for that for you too.

I work at the shop Tuesday through Friday, and Sundays. (we're closed on Mondays)

The life size figures were created by Greg Nicotero and KNB EFX Group, the same fine folks who do the make up effects on the Walking Dead... the figures are freaking incredible up close in person!

Like your Outer Limits screening idea! We've actually been watching episodes at the shop during the work week... there is some great stuff... would be great to see it projected all giant!

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Mar 31, 2014 6:32 PM

The Forms of Things Unknown is one of my favorites!!!! Love that crazy episode, it's sort of based on Les Diaboliques, but I think WAY better and crazier.

A four-disc CD set of Outer Limits music?!?!? WOW.

One of the strange things about OL is that almost everyone I know thought it was a crappy, 2nd rate sort of show! Then if I described one of the episodes, they remember it as a Twilight Zone episode! When I would tell them that no, it wasn't Twilight Zone but this other show with a sine wave taking over your TV set, they sort of remember but then would look at me like I was trying to FOOL THEM.

This was the exact same reaction with about 98% of the people I know!

There are lots of really special episodes, and was probably the most ripped-off TV show of all time. Most of the unit directors and art directors, and the makeup FX people went on to do the original Star Trek...

T

CAMMO!!!

Mucho Mahalos for making the trek up to LA to check out the show!

It was great meeting your family, and talking about all things tiki and monsters!

I was trying to cram a bunch of new additions into the Godzilla display case when you arrived, glad it sparked a whole great conversation about kaiju!

Hope you can make it up for the Godzilla gallery show that opens May 11th!

OH! Thanks for the vintage exotica vinyl! Listening to Hilo Hawaiians right now as we get ready to have dinner and watch an episode of The Outer Limits!

Godzilla gallery show that opens May 11th!

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Apr 7, 2014 7:33 AM

Eric -

What a great day, we visited a lot of places around Magnolia Park, and ended up at Trader Sam's, but the highlight was your OUTER LIMITS SHOW!!!!

Sorry for disturbing your Godzilla Sorting. Glad you liked the LPs.

In addition to the regular Godzilla titles, I also have DVD copies of stranger ones like Half Human, Gorath, Frankenstein vs. Baragon, Yokai Monsters (which is great!!!!), War of the Gargantuas, the Mysterians, and Varan.

Here's the Godzilla Expert guy, this guy is a wee bit more than a fan:
http://augustragone.blogspot.com/

The ultra-color for glazing is Duncan's "Concepts" Underglaze for Bisque, in the 2 oz. bottles. This has good color examples:
http://www.dogwoodceramics.com/Products/Duncan/Duncan_Concepts.htm

Thanks again, we're definitely coming to the Godzilla show!

T

On 2014-04-06 21:54, bamalamalu wrote:

Godzilla gallery show that opens May 11th!
What's this?!

Hey bamalamalu!

Here's info on the Godzilla show:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=47498&forum=6&0

Pages: 1 15 replies