Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Captain Morgan White rum commercial a crime against tiki?

Pages: 1 16 replies

Has anyone else watched this commercial? Captain Morgan is shooting cannonballs through tiki mugs...

Is this the best way to go?

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7Bo2/captain-morgan-white-rum-white-rum-has-a-new-captain

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2014-03-27 03:05 ]

G

I actually thought the slow motion looked pretty cool. The crime is that rum, yuck! I picked up a shooter and that rot gut makes Bacardi seem good by comparison.

gabbahey

That commercial is certainly pretty! I'm not sure I get the message, though. Is the new captain a drunkard who likes to shoot things? It's certainly memorable.

1rst time I’ve seen this year old ad.
I found it entertaining and the message that I got was that rum is not only for “syrupy sweet” tropical drinks.
Cheers

Yeah, the first I saw this commercial, I must have turned as white as a ghost. All I remember was my wife saying "Breathe, hon". It was then that I realized that I had gasped at the shattered tiki mugs...and forgot to exhale. (Sorry, but tiki mugs are a passion of mine.) Since then, my responses have ranged from "Oh C"MON!" to hurling a string of expletives at the television. I was never a Captain Morgan fan before (won't have it in my bar) but now I'm a sworn enemy. :x

J
Jay4 posted on Thu, Mar 27, 2014 5:23 PM

captain morgan is bottom shelf rum anyway,doesnt make sense why they bothered making a white rum when i thought parrot bay was made by the same people who make captain morgan

or actually,do they not have a unflavored parrot bay.maybe thats why,i havent bought parrot bay in a long time

[ Edited by: Jay4 2014-03-27 17:26 ]

[ Edited by: Jay4 2014-03-27 17:37 ]

On 2014-03-27 03:05, lunavideogames wrote:
Has anyone else watched this commercial? Captain Morgan is shooting cannonballs through tiki mugs...

Is this the best way to go?

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7Bo2/captain-morgan-white-rum-white-rum-has-a-new-captain

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2014-03-27 03:05 ]

Any pirate or assassin knows those aren't cannonballs, that is grapeshot!

That makes more sense and you are right, I should know that. :)

This commercial is awful! And the rum is awful! Imagine if they had to do more than one take! How many tiki mugs were harmed? My husband and I were freaking out when we saw it. I wanted to cover our tiki mugs' eyes.
(Am I being too dramatic?)

Any Captain Morgan Rum is strictly for squares!

-Longboard

I'm relatively new to the mug world and don't recognize the two mugs from the commercial. I assume they are current production items from somewhere but can anybody identify them for me. Thanks.

Like the rest of you I experienced a visceral feeling of revulsion when I saw a couple of perfectly good Tiki Mugs destroyed in the name of a bad rum.

I think they are both generic Orchids of Hawaii mugs. Tons of them out there, but he doesn't need to shoot em :wink:

I've seen the commercial several times and it does nothing for me one way or the other. I think that the only reason they're shooting at Tiki mugs is to get our attention because not may "authentic" Tiki drink recipes call for spiced rum of any kind. So what? Pirates aren't Tiki anyway.

Yeah I think you are right GH. It just seems to me that they could have done something like, "look how well this goes in your tiki drink" instead of shooting tiki mugs. I think the ad will just offend tiki folks and turn them away from this new brand, not that anyone would have tried it regardless.

I Don't think we are their core audience :)

That commercial has been the bane of my existence lately. I don't actually look at ads much, but that horribly annoying music is giving the Mute button a hell of a workout.

G

Just another arbitrary message about what's supposed to be cool, written by snarky ad writers who could just as well take the opposite position when the wind changes direction. This week the message is "Oh those cheesy tiki mugs are so uncool! See guys, Captain Morgan is hip and edgy, just like the background music we discovered on the NME blog! If you buy our rum, you'll be just as relevant as we desperately want to be!" In another few years, when they decide the pirate thing is totally played out, they'll de-emphasize that and try to catch another trend. So it goes.

Pages: 1 16 replies