Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Miniature hula girl bowl ?

Pages: 1 4 replies

UT

Picked this up today when out and about. Couldn't pass on the two dollar price tag. It is only three inches high and three and a quarter across the opening. the detail of the mold is even better than on the larger bowls and nice and crisp with good painting. Anyone else found one of these little gems in the wild?

C

I actually found one of those yesterday here in Las Vegas. The price was rather high. I left it in the shop.

T

That's one of OOH's short-lived Shrinky-Dink mug line. Place it in the oven at 350° for 12 minutes and it shrinks. Just like a regular Shrinky-Dink, it sharpens the details. Turns out a dishwasher works as well as an oven, so they were quickly and quietly discontinued.

UT

Thanks TT !! I actually was joking with my wife that that was the case :D I took a shot of the mini next to the medium size bowl to show the details. The layout of the scene is the same as is the way the bowl was made. The two tiny people in the background have degraded to just blobs on the medium bowl so they just painted them blue to match the water.

Trav,

I have three of these small bowls. One is marked from the Tonga Room in San Francisco and the other two are unmarked. I also have a mini Outrigger bowl from Johnny Quong's in Salt Lake City.

PTD

Pages: 1 4 replies