Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Humphreys and the Humphreys Concerts

Pages: 1 6 replies

SO I have been by Humphreys on my way to Bali hai often. I have never been inside. I am planning to travel to SD for a concert Ratdog (Bob Weir from the Grateful dead and others) Performing.
Questions:
How is the place - rooms suites etc?
How is the tiki there? I have seen the outside and the obvious and a few threads.
Drinks? - Yes Bali hai is across the way. But how about in the hotel / venue?
Any other tips or suggestions for concert and hotel.

Yes I have my grateful Dead Tiki mug from tiki farm!

Mahalo in advance.

I caught The Cult there two nights ago. We stayed a few nights for the show and long party weekend.
Rooms are basic, some have full shower some shower/tub combo. Most have a little fridge. I would stay away from the first floor rooms that have the ice machines out front. I was making tiki drinks late into the night and really worked that ice machine over.
The beds are FREAKING Terrible. The good news is you’ll probably be passed out at the base of a tiki, so that won’t be a problem.
“How is the tiki there” Not sure what you mean. There is tiki on the grounds here and there in various stages of decay.
Don’t bother trying to get the rooms that overlook the stage, they go to crew and the owner’s guest.
I have tried and tried to get these rooms. If anyone knows how to get these rooms please pm me.
There is usually a live band in the bar after shows and they try to pair the music type with the headliner. The cover is waived for hotel guest, I think it’s around twelve dollars. The bar is pretty cool as Bali Hai will be closed.
I will say the hotel seems to be pretty lenient with partying late. We get our party on and didn’t attract security until two a.m. this time.

The venue is a very intimate setting, really not a bad seat in the place. Plastic chairs packed in pretty tight, doubt you’ll use it though.
Sound really just depends on the crew, never loud enough for me.
If there is a show on a night prior and you are staying there, you can kick back at the pool, party and check out the show from one side of the stage.
Not the best stage view but good sound.

You asked about drinks. If you’re looking for true tiki drinks…they don’t have them. The drinks they do have are actually not too bad and they don’t short them. I’ve really never been searched going in and the staff is really cool. You could take a flask of nice single malt scotch in very easily…not saying I would ever do such a thing though.
They do have a punch type drink that comes in a plastic tiki, just pour that one on the ground and keep the tiki.

Intimate venue, really beautiful grounds with tiki and best of all…Coke in the vending machines not Pepsi. Rock on!

ONLY -
Mahalo for that info
pretty much all the info I was looking for.

The Cult good guys good tunes!

On the seats - they look like cheap plastic fold ups - does that mean they can folded and moved? - Get that its ticked by seat and section but just wondering.

Mahalo once again- anyone else feel free to jump in.

Yeah, I have not stayed there, but we went to eat at their restaurant last week for the first time. I thought it was good but overpriced for what it was. $85 for a surf and turf for example. Their drinks are not good IMO. I would not waste time eating or drinking there with so many other options. Red Sails Inn is a great place for breakfast just down the street. Bali Hai for drinks or Fathom Bistro for beer are what I would do. Umi Sushi is our favorite too. There are many other options too and I will happily share any advice on anything else you need, just ask.

I like the look of the hotel and they have outdoor areas and gardens that are nice. I have seen the higher end rooms and they looked great. I have not seen a show there so I have no advice on that. Hope it helps.

On 2014-04-07 13:47, sneakyjack wrote:
ONLY -
Mahalo for that info
pretty much all the info I was looking for.

The Cult good guys good tunes!

On the seats - they look like cheap plastic fold ups - does that mean they can folded and moved? - Get that its ticked by seat and section but just wondering.

Mahalo once again- anyone else feel free to jump in.

The Cult did kick ass though it meant missing the Tikiyaki 5-0 show.

The seats are “cheap plastic fold ups” and not too comfy. I think they try and keep them zip tied together…..Ratdog fans have been known to pick them up and hurl them at each other!
Standing around by the front of the stage is also frowned upon. Dude you’re going to have a blast no matter your seat location, count on it!

OnlyATikiLad

mahalo again
I figured on the zip ties. We will have to survey the scene or wait til dark before clipping. No chair throwin'

I appreciate all the insider info.

Anyone else feel free to add- we got time.

Mahalo and peace.

My wife and I stay at the half moon frequently. Like everything about it cept the bar and restaurant. Best thing is the “grounds and the half moons proximity to the Bali Hai (within stumbling distance). Theres plenny tiki hidden in the flora. Some are obviously very old-others are very new as many are liberated by ? If you have a vehicle visit the “Waterfront” bar and grill for breakfast. A dive bar which attracts a lot of wannabe bikers on weekends. The breakfast chow is onolicios and they serve a killa Bloody Mary! About 15 minutes or so from Shelter Island.
Try the seafood at Point Loma fish market. A short mile away on Scott street (walking distance).
Finally, Filippi’s grotto in Liittle Italy can’t be beat for Italian-especially their pizza. No need to eat at Humphrey’s. Dat’s my humble opinion.
Have fun!

Waterfront Bar and Grill, 2044 kettner blvd.San Diego

Pages: 1 6 replies