Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Ted's Chocolate Haupia Pie

Pages: 1 4 replies

T

Some of you may be aware of Ted's Sunset Bakery in Haleiwa (Oahu). I found this recipe for Ted's famous Chocolate Haupia pie in a Hawaii newspaper. I think I shall make it for Easter this year!

Ingredients:
1 9-in. unbaked pie crust
1 cup milk
1 can coconut milk (14 oz.)
1 tbsp. Coconut extract
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
½ cup cornstarch
7/8 cup chocolate (Dutch chocolate or any chocolate with a high cocoa butter content)
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
¼ cup of sugar

1.   Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2.   Bake crust for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.

3.   In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk, coconut milk, coconut extract, and 1 cup sugar.

4.   In a separate bowl, dissolve cornstarch in water.

5.   After bringing coconut milk mixture to a boil, reduce to simmer and slowly whisk in cornstarch mixture, continue stirring over low heat until thickened – about three minutes, Divide evenly into two bowls.

6.   In another bowl, microwave chocolate until melted.

7.   Mix chocolate into one of the bowls of coconut pudding, then pour mixture into the pie crust, spread and let sit.

8.   Pour the remaining bowl of coconut pudding on top of the chocolate coconut pudding mixture and spread smooth, being careful not to mix the two layers, Refrigerate the pie for an hour or more.

9.   Whip the heavy cream with ¼ cup of sugar until stiff. Layer the whipped cream on the pie surface. Garnish with chocolate shavings.

T

Now, we could get crazy and substitute this for the topping:

Rum Whipped Cream
Recipe courtesy of Ina Garten

2002, Barefoot Contessa Family Style, All Rights Reserved

Total Time:
10 min
Prep:
10 min

Ingredients (Recipe x 1.5 to match quantity in Ted's recipe)

1-1/2 cup cold heavy cream
4-1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoon dark rum

Directions

Whip the cream in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. When it starts to thicken, add the sugar, vanilla, and rum. Continue to whip until it forms stiff peaks. Serve cold.

Did their recipe really say "Any chocolate with a high cocoa butter content"? That seems like they are asking for some of the worst chocolate out there. It's usually high cocoa solids that you want (when talking of quality), the higher the butter the closer to white chocolate you get.

T

Yes, it said high cocoa butter content. Will that not work?

http://www.hawaiimagazine.com/blogs/hawaii_today/2009/8/5/chocolate_haupia_pie_recipe/2

I guess it was a magazine and not newspaper. I was working off a screen shot.

[ Edited by: Tele295 2014-04-07 19:52 ]

It might... actually I'm not sure because I've never seen white chocolate used in baking in a form that disperses the chocolate. But, judging by the picture, they meant solids not butter. Dutch should also probably be swapped for "Bittersweet" since it isn't a style of chocolate (but it is a style of cocoa powder).

I'm guessing either something was misquoted/the interview made a mistake.

Pages: 1 4 replies