Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tiki Thirstday V • APRIL 17 • Washington, DC Area (Bethesda)

Pages: 1 2 replies

|||| Recap of Last Week Follows the Invite ||||

When: Thursday, April 17, 2014
Where: House of Foong Lin, 4613 Willow Lane, Bethesda, MD 20877
Time: From 6 pm to Close. Some groups arrive early, with most people arriving between 7 and 7:30.

$5 Tiki Drink Specials & Full Food Menu available all night!
(This week, Mai Tai '44 plus two more TBA)

Drop by for just one, or stay the whole evening - that's up to you.

Sadly, the Washington, DC region gave up all of it's Tiki glory years ago.
Trader Vic's closed down almost 20 years ago, and the last true area Tiki bar, The Honolulu, closed 10 years ago next month. We are, however, fortunate that House of Foong Lin still keeps a torch burning with the area's widest selection of Tiki Drinks and even some classic Polynesian dishes to enjoy. (They still serve a Pu-Pu Platter with a wooden server and flaming hibachi in the center)

Tiki footnote: The Chef/Owner's brother and former partner was a bartender at the DC Trader Vic's in the 1970s. Several of their drinks are recipes carefully crafted from his brother's days behind the bar at Trader Vic's.

Tiki Shirts & Aloha wear welcomed and encouraged!
First timers and all those wearing some kind of Tiki-wear get entered into our weekly drawing. The drawing will range from a $5 to a $20 House of Foong Lin Gift Certificate depending on how many people we have.

EASY PARKING: There is a 200 space municipal parking lot directly across the street.

**If you are visiting or passing through DC on a Thursday night, PM me and I'll be glad to get you directions!

House of Foong Lin's charm is that they are an old school Chinese/Asian restaurant that kept the classic Tiki drinks going long after they all but disappeared from most menus. They have also been amazingly receptive to the local Ohana that have discovered this non-trendy oasis. They have brought in special rums to cater to their Tiki regulars, upped their game with several drink additions to the menu (a very respectable Black Magic, a Mai Tai '44 and Mai Tai 52, among them). Also, the food is absolutely first rate - some of the very best Chinese food in the Washington, DC area.

|||| Recap of Tiki Thirstday IV, April 10 ||||
We celebrated Martin Denny's Birthday with a great selection of Exotica from his many albums, courtesy of TikiGAP and Julie. Featured Drink Specials were Mai Tai '44s, Dark and Stormys, and London Sours. As a special treat, our Host - Chef Fu (yes, that is his name), brought out a huge platter of "Foo Fries." Foo Fries are an off-menu treat, thin slivers of potato crisply cooked and specially seasoned with Chinese spices.

Winner of the Weekly Drawing: Wahine Lyn!

Many Mahalos to the 16+ folks who stopped in to enjoy our weekly "Island Time" getaway!

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2014-04-13 07:41 ]

Tonight's Featured Drinks!

Had a great time meeting everyone -- and I even got my hat back!

Pages: 1 2 replies