Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Vintage 1950s Moai/Tiki MOSAIC

Pages: 1 26 replies

I am also selling a vintage 1950s or 1960s mosaic of a Moai (a moai-saic?)

This was hanging in my old house and Shag was eyeing it saying if we ever wanted to sell it....

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2118888361

Pamita Neptuna

That is so bitchen! It could be related to my Moai mosaic on page 174 of the Book of Tiki. Although I know five lucky owners of that same (with varieties) piece, YOURS I have never seen before. I feel for you and your financial situation that forces you to put this on the auctioning block. Why is Josh not buying it? Then again, maybe you get a better price on e-bay, although lately it has been reflecting the economy's tight money.

I am very curious to watch this climb up there, which it certainly will. I wish you hundreds and hundreds of dollars (or thousands?, the WITCO world that was for sale in a Palm Spings store for over a year for $1200.- was bought on that Tiki weekend, even BEFORE my slide show...maybe the guy from MOCA got it). Even though money is tight for most, there is always the individual for whom money is no object. I wish you one of those. Start bidding, everybody!

M

On 2002-07-03 11:31, bigbrotiki wrote:
That is so bitchen! It could be related to my Moai mosaic on page 174 of the Book of Tiki.

Big bro, yep, that is what I saw too. Just like that long mosaic at the beginning of the chapter. Already cmmented to Pam what a great piece it is, and how far away from my spending abilities it will eventualy go!

Mugs come and go, except my current crop of must-haves! on ebay, heee hee, but this is a real find. I put this up with a wood Tiki "supposedly" from the Luau/Hanalei that was sold a few months back.

I want this mosaic, but I ain't a getting it!

midnite

Z

The current bid is now $20.50 with 9+ days to go. Any guesses how high it will go when it ends? My estimate is $125-150. Too high or too low?

is anybody we know bidding on it? I am thinking about it...it is SOOOOO great!

inky

J

I just emailed Shag about it, but haven't heard back yet.

Pamita Neptuna aka junglepam

M
Mattio posted on Wed, Jul 3, 2002 9:32 PM

I want it

Well, i want it too....So there!

M

I double dog dare want it, and I am breaking Piggie as I type. This puppy is mine, I pity the fool that tries to outbid me. No one shall defeat Cpt. Midnite on this auction, must have must have must have.

Just trying a little trash talking psych-out job here. Did it work? Nahh, didn't think so. Shucks, Drat, Barnacles!

I see it going for 250-300 bones.

midnite

Where are all those rich tikiheads out there? The thing's only up to $40.. oh, wait... you're all too dang smart to bid now! It'll be fun to see the last five minutes of this auction!

Thanks everyone for being so swell - I'm a little sad to see this guy go, but he'll be much happier hanging on the wall of someone who will really LOVE him than in our closet.

Now the question is.... WHO LOVES HIM THE MOST????

• Pamita Neptuna aka Junglepam

P.S. The reason Josh saw this lovely item so many times and lusted after it so hot and heavy was because my husband, Jeff, was in the Tiki Tones and Huntington Cads with him and Josh would come over and see it at our old San Pedro abode. :)

Three cheers for the Tiki Tones! 'The Enchanted Tiki Tones' 7" is a particularly inspired piece of vinyl!!

Trader Woody

Z

3 days 1 hour to and it is up to $184.00. Way to go Pam. Glad to see your getting a good price for this classic piece of artwork.

M

Holy crap, Batman!

Several hours to go and it is $500.

This baby is hot, Hot, HOT. So much for my $250-300 prediction. Way to go, it is a nice piece.

Will it go higher? Aye, it will go HIGH!

midnite

Hey JunglePam!
Are you staying home to see what the final bid goes to? It ends at 6:38 pm. so it would be just about the time the "crawlers" will be having their first cocktail of the evening. $510 already! Woohoo! FreakyTikiCheers to you!

SugarCaddyDaddy

M

Randy-

I am infinitely jealous of your levels of disposable income. First the Lanai tiki, now this. You are the king. Watch out for that last minute Shag-Attack- he (may) have more money to burn than all of us combined.

-Martin

:o :) :o :) :o :)
over $500 and still time to go!

EVEN I CAN'T COMPREHEND THIS ONE!!!

Un-bee-LEEV-able!

It IS a great piece - and as Sven said, he's never seen it before! But, MAN! I am one happy gal!

Thanks all for the support and bidding on the items! I've got about 20-30 more mugs to put up still.... Had two TIKI CENTRALITES win mugs already! And that makes me super-happy because I know these goodies are going to good homes!

Pam
aka junglepam

[ Edited by: junglepam on 2002-07-12 15:33 ]

[ Edited by: junglepam on 2002-07-12 15:34 ]

Congrats JunglePam!! Hey, is that Randy that won the auction? If so...you da man!!!

A

Wowee! Hope to have another partee at the pad in Belmont this summer - hopefully some tiki folks can come too and enjoy Pamita's moai-saic and the Lanai tiki too.

Just ONE favor to ask. If anybody finds the same mosaic in an uncle's attic, or at a swapmeet for $4, then for god's sake, DON'T TELL ME!!

About disposable income... I have a friend who's not super-rich or anything, who recently bought a used BMW for $30K or so, in addition to the car his company provides. Two cars for one guy, and he thinks I'm crazy for spending on tiki and lowbrow stuff! Personally, I think I get a lot more bang for my self-indulgent buck (and much less $$ too), but somehow by most standards he's the normal one!

M

If Randy (aquarj) has "disposable income"-far out!! He's an incredibly nice guy and deserves it. One thing I noticed about him is he is a picky shopper. I buy a lot of junk, he buys only a few incredible pieces! I could afford a lot nicer things if I could kick the junk habit!!!

T

mrsmiley wrote:
"far out!!"
Wow, he talks like a smiley face would even!

"if I could kick the junk habit!!!"
God, I didn't know you were on junk! You really should quit - it's real bad for you!

Seriously, I hope I can make it to your next party Randy (hint, hint) to see all your new stuff!

Now that the dust has been cleared from what has been a highly entertaining auction, it might be worth pointing out that creating Tiki mosaics could be a pretty good career option for someone who is suitably artistic.

Not to say each one should be sold for $500+, but there are a lot of people here who would like a nice Tiki mosaic on their wall. Hell, it's a step up from another art print!

Trader Woody

M

someone who is suitably artistic.

Hell, it's a step up from another art print!

Trader Woody

I do see how the Tiki carvers' work is doing pretty well on ebay. Does seem to be real demand for their offerings. The mosaic was nice, but given the talent it takes to produce such a piece, I don't expect to see new version being made.

Plus, there are too many struggling artists copying Shag works to bother with mosaic!

I am thinking of doing some kind of Mosaic after seeing this one. I have plenty of acess to broken ceramic pieces. Might have to give it a try. Will post a picture if I find time to do this.

Jungle Pam,
I have bid on a few of your items, I hate to see you parting with so many treasures, but maybe we can keep them in the family.

T

I have a vintage mosaic similar to the one in the Book of Tiki (maybe done by the same artist). I've started a Tiki Gallery with pics of mugs, artwork, and anything else tiki. I'll be adding tons of stuff this week. Hit my website and browse photos and you can even upload your photos and add comments/info on anything. Let's build a gallery of everything that's out there!

Hey - I actually know a little about mosaics, believe it or not.

If someone is seriously interested in making some, I could give some tips. I would even do it myself, except that with a two year old and a four year old in the house.. you can guess how thousands of little pieces of glass tiles would go over

Incidentally (insert cheap spam here) - if you want to see my number one son, check out my cool old outdoor tiki for sale on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2124329115

There's a picture of him next to it! One look at his devilish face, and you know why I say, "Mosaic-making is for childless people!"

Pam

Hey Pam, Thanks for the Bali Hai Mug! Sorry you had to get rid of it, I will take good care of it. Cute kid. I have a four year old and a 3 month old. They will run you to death. Hope you are getting your money back and more on your items. Thanks from KoKomo, Mississippi! Pine Trees and Palm Trees Baby!!!!

Pages: 1 26 replies