Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tiki Thirstday VII • May 1 • MD/DC/VA Area (Bethesda)

Pages: 1 1 replies

DC

\m/ \m/ Recap of Last Week Follows the Invite \m/ \m/

When: Thursday, May 1, 2014
Where: House of Foong Lin, 4613 Willow Lane, Bethesda, MD 20877
Time: From 6 pm to Close. Some groups arrive early, with most people arriving between 7 and 7:30.

$5 Tiki Drink Specials & Full Food Menu available all night!
This week: Mai Tai '44 plus Dark and Stormy and Planter's Punch

Drop by for just one, or stay the whole evening - that's up to you.

Sadly, the Washington, DC region gave up all of it's Tiki glory years ago.
Trader Vic's closed down almost 20 years ago, and the last true Washington Tiki Bar, The Honolulu, closed 10 years ago. We are, however, fortunate that House of Foong Lin still keeps a torch burning with the area's widest selection of Tiki Drinks and even some classic Polynesian dishes to enjoy. (They still serve a Pu-Pu Platters with a wooden server and flaming hibachi in the center)

Tiki Shirts & Aloha wear welcomed and encouraged!
First timers and all those wearing some kind of Tiki-wear get entered into our weekly drawing. The drawing will range from a $5 to a $20 House of Foong Lin Gift Certificate depending on how many people we have.

EASY PARKING: There is a 200 space municipal parking lot directly across the street.
**If you are visiting or passing through DC on a Thursday night, PM me and I'll be glad to get you directions!

House of Foong Lin's charm is that they are an old school Chinese/Asian restaurant that kept the classic Tiki drinks going long after they all but disappeared from most menus. They have also been amazingly receptive to the local Ohana that have discovered this non-trendy oasis. They have brought in special rums to cater to their Tiki regulars, upped their game with several drink additions to the menu (a very respectable Black Magic, a Mai Tai '44 and Mai Tai 52, among them). Also, the food is absolutely first rate - some of the very best Chinese food in the Washington, DC area.

This week we plan to raise a toast in remembrance to the Final Aloha of The Honolulu which closed 10 years ago this April. Many of us who enjoy Tiki today do so, in part, due to Dave and Anna Chan.

[[[((8-0))]]] Recap of Tiki Thirstday VI, April 24 [[[((8-0))]]]
Mahalos to everyone who joined us last week. Our merry band last week included 11 "regulars" most of whom had been to ALL SIX of our Tiki Thirstdays so far. Mahalos for giving our weekly slice of Island Time such a great start.

Mahalos and Alohas to Amber and Chris, who were having dinner in the dining room, but could not resist checking out the scene in the lounge and asking what was with all the Hawaiian shirts. Great to see that they have already joined us on our facebook page, and we hope to see you again this week.

(As Always) Huge Mahaloz to Miss Ling, who makes our drinks, and Our Host, Chef Fu who has graciously given us use and the run of his lounge (and sweetened the deal with our Tiki Drink specials and wonderful food). They are delighted we are here and please take the time to let them know how much you are enjoying a place to Tiki with your friends and family. (If you have not yet met them, please let me know and I will introduce you!)

Winner of the Weekly Drawing: John W

DC

Another great turnout. Last night we had 27 for the evening. There's no guessing how many will show up on any given Tiki Thirstday, but I can promise that no matter how many (or few) we are having a great time.

Chef Fu and Miss Ling, I know you don't go online, but thanks for all the great drinks and wonderful food.

Especially for those on TC who live near by, we keep the torches lit every Thursday. Please join us some time soon. It's a far cry from the return of Trader Vic's that many of us dream about, but it is very decent drinks and a great group of people to hang with.

Aloha,
Dr. Coruba

(And as always, if any of you are drifting through DC, please message me and I'll be happy to help you swing by our Tiki Thirstday or just join you for a taste of Tiki any time.)

Pages: 1 1 replies