Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trader Vic's magazine ads from the 70s

Pages: 1 9 replies

Came across these ads from the 70s in a semi-random search. There were more listed but were not available for free. These range from 1970 to 1979 and appeared in New York, Ski and Texas Monthly magazines:

The lack of 'tiki-ness' in all but the first amuses me. I particularly like the Plaza Restaurants item - "easy to take lunches except Sunday."

T

Gotta love those 70s fonts!

T

I blame it all on Peter Max.

P

What is hot rum "batter?"

Must admit, Greg - had to google Peter Max. These fonts seem quite tame in comparison to some of that stuff!

Found another from 1980:

Also, another thread about a Tiki Ski Weekend in 1964 which led me to this information:

"For years, the social highlight of the year was the end-of-the-ski-season Tiki Race hosted by "Trader Vic" Bergeron. Outfitted in grass skirts, leis and sarongs, skiers slalomed around artificial palm trees to the bottom of the hill, where a dugout canoe was filled with mai tais. Winners got a carved wooden tiki. Trader Vic's Tiki International, as it came to be called, ended in 1975, but it has recently been revived -- in a less boozy form -- as a benefit for Sugar Bowl's ski team." (source)

Who would've thought?

Had to google that too, Pabtiki!

Apparently the batter is a mix of ingredients (sugar, butter, icecream, spices) that you mix with rum and boiling water to make a Hot Buttered Rum (which I know they sell at Trader Vic's).

P

Ooh, let's bring it back!!

Cool mug collection on Ooga, Moondoggle!

On 2014-05-03 15:05, moondoggie wrote:
Had to google that too, Pabtiki!

Apparently the batter is a mix of ingredients (sugar, butter, icecream, spices) that you mix with rum and boiling water to make a Hot Buttered Rum (which I know they sell at Trader Vic's).

Thankyou! It's a start.

And your 'cruddy music' definitely is NOT - I really like it. Nice work :)

P

Aw thanks much; very kind!

Great finds Moondoggie! Great to archive those 70's era Plaza Trader Vic's ads here and I'm also glad to learn about the Trader Vic's end-of-season downhill tiki ski race. They went to great lengths to promote their Hot Buttered Rum and Tom and Jerry mixes.

Pages: 1 9 replies