Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Shop in 1961 Family Photos - West Los Angeles on Wilshire?

Pages: 1 7 replies

C

In going through some of my parents photos, I found these shots, taken during a visit by my grandfather Harry Walker. On January 18, 1961, he and my mother Doris Walker left my parent's apartment at 625 S. Barrington Ave. in Brentwood, walked south on Barrington to pick up Chinese food at the Mandarin Inn. I've researched that, and found that it was at 11829 Wilshire Blvd., 1 1/2 blocks west of Barrington. Since it would be logical for them to walk down Barrington, then turn right and go west for a block and half, it is likely they saw this "Tiki Shop" somewhere near Wilshire and Barrington.

I posted the photo of my mother yesterday on Facebook, and BigBroTiki, Bora Boris, Lake Surfer and others gave me some good tips and TC thread links (and that they were in the general style of Bumatay and Ellis). I'm posting these here in case anyone recognizes this place.

My grandfather Harry Walker in front of the Tiki Shop in West LA area, January 18, 1961:

My mother Doris Walker in front of two Tikis. The poster is for the 1961 NFL Pro Bowl game, held at the LA Coliseum three days earlier. The back of the bigger billboard makes me think this could be closer to San Vincente and Wilshire, which is near a large traffic intersection and the VA Hospital (there were tall office buildings built on those sites in the 1970s/80s).

Bora Boris pointed out that the Tiki on the right resembled one at Mar Vista Lanes, which isn't very far from the Wilshire/Barrington area: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1738&forum=1&vpost=316137

Harry Walker (visiting from my father's hometown of Moline, Illinois) typed up an 18 page recollection of his several week visit to LA. On this page he wrote: "1-18-61 - Relaxed and caught up with household chores, but took time out to sun ourselves by the pool and also read a little. 82 degrees. I strolled down to Wilshire Blvd. checking up on a Tiki Shop to see how they carve the different characters. Then I went to Mandarin Inn, picked up part of our dinner."

So this wasn't just a Tiki broker/retailer, carving was going on there.

My grandfather mentioned they were picking up Chinese at the Mandarin Inn. It didn't take much research (LA Times Historical) to find the Mandarin Inn was at 11829 Wilshire Blvd. It's no longer there...the building now houses the "Cabo Cantina." However, I found this site with a 1978 photo--the Los Angeles Public Library Archive Grid: http://184.168.105.185/archivegrid/collection/data/731094056

Hopefully in the next few weeks, I'll drop by Oceanic Arts to see if Bob or Leroy are familiar with this place, and report back if I find out anything.

Caltiki Brent

BB

Just adding as I mentioned on Facebook that the big guy next to your Grandfather looks a lot like the Tiki on the Tonga Lei menu cover. Maybe the Tonga Lei bought him from the Tiki Shop? :)

C

Thanks for noticing that, Boris...looks logical to me!

And I just found an earlier memo of my grandfather's vacation that shows I had the wrong date for the photos that were shot. He was on his own on 1/18/61. But earlier, on December 23, 1960, he typed the following:

He mentions that he and my mom (who was getting over a bought with the flu) went to Westward Ho Market (which was near the apartment, at San Vincente and Barrington), then "went to Basket Bazaar, took pictures in front of a Tiki shop. We also went to and broused [sic] through a second-hand book-store. After all this walk Doris felt much better. (Tikis are South-Sea-Island "totem poles" carved right in this shop on Barrington Avenue from huge redwood logs.)" Basket Bazaar was at 11675 Wilshire, on the northeast corner of Barrington. The Tiki Shop was probably somewhere just above that on Barrington, not on Wilshire like I initially thought.

Here's a 1960 LA Times ad for Basket Bazaar (sounds like possibly a Pier 1/Cost Plus kind of place), showing the Wilshire/Barrington address.

I wonder if there could have been any connection between the Tiki Shop and Basket Bazaar?

Caltiki Brent

C

Incidentally, if anyone is interested, this is the inside of my mom and dad's apartment at 625 S. Barrington Ave. (where I also lived for my first 11 months--no recollection other than photos).

Here's my dad reading the paper:

Here's my mom typing in the bedroom:

Caltiki Brent

I see he has his indoor suit on for sitting around the in the house, as was per the custom in those days :)

What is the subject matter of that picture, hanging on the wall, above the lamp, in the photo of your mom?

It almost looks like someone, dressed in white, standing in front of of an a-framed tiki establishment!

... Just noticed, the same picture is next to your dad in his photo.

[ Edited by: Tiki Shaker 2014-05-04 22:04 ]

Congawa,

Cool photos, thanks for posting. Nothing like a little Tiki mystery! The closest thing I could find is the Coral Reef Imports that was located on Pico. Probably too far from Wilshire to be the place.

I think your visit with Bob and Leroy may be your best bet. Look forward to hearing what you find out.

DC

8T

Congawa, Cool info. I am sitting at my computer at home which sits on top of a desk just like that one behind your father except that the drawers are on the right side of mine.

Pages: 1 7 replies