Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 4-30-14: Mother May I?

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: April 30, 2014

Because this Wednesday’s show was broadcast on May Day Eve on the show we admired the imminent advent of the merry month of May with songs about May, songs mentioning May, songs with words that have the syllable “may” in them and songs featuring a famous musician named May.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Auf Wiedersehn, My Dear,” composed by Al Hoffman Al Goodhart, Ed Nelson and Milton Ager, and sung in 1932 by Al Bowlly on his rigorous retrospective: Just a Bowl of Cherries, with Roy Fox & His Band.

2. The 1937 recording of “The Mood That I'm In” written by Abner Silver and Al Sherman, included on the salubrious CD: The Quintessential Billie Holiday, Volume 3: 1936-37, accompanied by Teddy Wilson & His Orchestra, including Mr. Wilson on Piano, Henry “Red” Allen on Trumpet, Cecil Scott on Clarinet, Alto & Tenor Sax, Prince Robinson on Tenor Sax, Jimmy McLin on Guitar, John Kirby on Bass and Cozy Cole on Drums.

3. Taken from the bodacious box set: Bing Crosby – Easy to Remember, “I've Got the World on a String,” which was composed by Harold Arlen and Ted Koehler for the 1932 revue: Cotton Club Parade, with the Dorsey Brothers Orchestra, including Bunny Berrigan on Trumpet, Tommy Dorsey on Trombone and Jimmy Dorsey on Clarinet and Alto Sax.

4. “One Morning in May” from the anthemic anthology: Hoagy Carmichael – Stardust and Much More, with the composer, the aforementioned Mr. Carmichael on Piano, recorded in 1933.

5. “I Can't Get Started,” composed by Vernon Duke and Ira Gershwin for the Broadway musical: Ziegfield Follies of 1936, where it was introduced by Bob Hope and Eve Arden, recorded by Lee Wiley in 1945 at the Ritz Theater in New York, with Jess Stacy on Piano and appearing on her album: Live on Stage.

6. The song written by our monthly denominated musician Billy May, “Oink, Oink Mambo” performed in 1950 by Chuy Reyes and found on the conscientious compilation: Ultra-Lounge Mambo Fever – Samba! Rhumba! Hot Cha-Cha-Cha!

7. “Come Fly With Me,” the song composed by Jimmy Van Heusen and Sammy Cahn composed for the 1957 Frank Sinatra LP of the same name, arranged and conducted by Billy May.

8. “All the Things You Are,” which was written by Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein for the 1939 Broadway musical: Very Warm for May and the 1944 movie: Broadway Rhythm, recorded in 1945 by the Pianist Erroll Garner and included on his romping retrospective: Timeless, with John Levy on Bass and George DeHart on Drums.

9. “Belinda May,” from the copious collection: Ennio Morricone -- 50 Movie Theme Hits, composed for the 1969 Vittorio Gassman movie: L’Alibi.

10. “May I Come In?” from Blossom Dearie’s 1964 loquacious LP of the same name, arranged and conducted by Jack Marshall.

11. “Fat Man Boogie” recorded in 1951 by Billy May and His Orchestra and featured on the comely collection: Billy’s Best.

12. The Bob Dorough song, “I've Got Just About Everything,” sung by Ann Hampton Callaway on her self-titled 1992 album, with arranger Mike Renzi on Piano, Chip Jackson on Bass and Terry Clarke on Drums.

13. “May God Be With You (Vaya Con Dios)” the 1954 recording taken from the choleric collection: Chico O'Farrill – The Complete Norman Granz Recordings, composed arranged and conducted by Mr. O’Farrill, with Fred Otis on Piano, Herb Geller on Alto Sax, Don Davidson on Baritone Sax, Don Bagley on Bass, Jackie Mills on Drums, Carlos Vidal on Congas and Modesto Martinez on Percussion.

14. “I Didn't Know What Time It Was,” the Rodgers & Hart song from the 1939 Broadway Musical: Too Many Girls, sung by Karrin Allyson on her 1993 album: I Didn't Know About You, with Ms. Allyson on Piano, Bob Bowman on Bass, Gary Sivils on Cornet and Todd Strait on Drums.

15. “One Morning in May,” The 1933 song composed by Hoagy Carmichael and Mitchell Parish, taken from the 2002 CD: Stardust -- The Bill Charlap Trio Plays the Music of Hoagy Carmichael, with Bill Charlap on Piano, Peter Washington on Bass and Kenny Washington on Drums.

Pages: 1 0 replies