Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Does anyone remember the details on this?

Pages: 1 4 replies

T

Recently I was reading about how a certain diner—I think it was Orson Welles—was asked to leave Trader Vic's because he wasn't wearing a dinner jacket or some such. He left in a fit of pique and vowed never to return, but was seen there again a week or two later.

Can anyone remember where this was from, or the details of it? I'm sure I'm getting something wrong.

M

From "Scrounging the Islands with the Legendary Don the Beachcomber."

Page 25 - One evening Orson Wells removed his jacket. When asked to put it back on he announced that he would never again visit such a stuffy place. And he never did, either, until the following week.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

[ Edited by: MaukaHale 2014-05-05 15:35 ]

T

Bingo! Thanks, MakaHaule. Apparently I read it longer ago than I thought.

It's yet another reminder that the early tiki joints were pretty hoity toity. It came up in relation to a discussion about fezzes and tiki, and the fact that Trader Vic's once ousted a group of Shriners for wearing their fezzes indoors.

I am old enough to remember everyplace had a dress code back then,
Jackets & ties for the men & evening/cocktail dresses for the ladies
which is why that is the original "Tiki" wear!

And why I wear a vintage suit for all Those Tiki events :)
Suit up!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-05-05 16:21 ]

M

I remember clubs that would loan you a coat and tie so you could get in. Heck, even polka clubs required a coat and tie! This was before everyone started wearing just T-shirts.

Pages: 1 4 replies