Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Easter Island artifacts for sale

Pages: 1 0 replies

Here are some excerpts and photos from an article in The Palm Beach Post about a gentleman who is selling his collection of Easter Island artifacts that he gathered while he was stationed there 44 years ago with the Air Force. Looks like some pretty cool stuff ...

Want a piece of Easter Island? Loxahatchee man selling carvings from there
BY STACI STURROCK - PALM BEACH POST STAFF WRITER

For 24-year-old mechanic Peter Lubbers, the journey from a North Carolina Air Force base to a special-duty assignment on Easter Island was long in duration and short on comfort.

Even 44 years removed, the veteran recalls the way the webbed seats of the C-141 Starlifter military transport plane left stripes across his backside and how the airmen sat facing a pair of Dodge pick-ups. “It was so cold at times we climbed in those trucks to stay warm,” says Lubbers, who lives in Loxahatchee.

What Lubbers would eventually discover on Easter Island, far off the western coast of South America, was a centuries-old culture that curiously spoke to his Midwestern heart: “I just fell in love with the people, fell in love with the place.”

And fell hard for the art.

During his six-month tour of duty, Lubbers amassed multiple examples of distinctly Easter Island wood carvings, and now, as he approaches retirement, he’s hoping to sell the two dozen or so canes, figures, masks and decorative knives that remain in his possession. “I’ve had my enjoyment out of them,” he says. The buyer “has got to be someone who wants something that nobody else has, which is this.”

For more photos and the full story, click here:

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news/lifestyles/want-a-piece-of-easter-island-loxahatchee-selling-/nfrxY/#7dbb2781.unknown.735365

Interested in purchasing Lubbers’ Easter Island collection? He can be reached at 561-202-4210.

Pages: 1 0 replies