Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Anglerfish

Pages: 1 4 replies

Although not as prevalent as the Pufferfish in Tiki Culture, the Anglerfish is often portrayed in Poly Pop imagery. But did you know about their rather strange sexual practices? Anglerfish live in the deep dark sea where the fish population is very scarce, and encounters with a potential mate are scarce. To ensure the survival of the species they have a rather unique way of reproducing. The tiny male is born with an incomplete digestive system but an overdeveloped sense of smell which he uses to find a female or he will die. He burrows into the skin of the female and attaches like a parasite. His organs are all no longer needed and atrophy away except his testicles which grow to monster proportions. The male and female form a single hemaphodite organism that can then breed at will. Here is a picture of the male & female Anglerfish.

Here are some Tiki images of Anglerfish

Carving by AlohaStation

Tiki bar in the mouth of an Anglerfish by AnthonyMaye

by Kirby

by Little Lost Tiki

by Melekalikimaka

Any more examples out there?

I always thought that a angler fish would be cool as a lamp. Been waiting for someone to come up with the idea. If I had more creative power I would have tried it a long time ago. :)

S

Cool thread MDM. Mother nature sure is strange.

Very cool thread and nice collection of Tiki Anglerfish!

An anglerfish lamp design would be cool. Somewhat similar train of thought. . . here's the angler jack-o-lantern I carved last Halloween. I like how it came out.

"If you keep on drinking rum, the world will soon be quit of a very dirty scoundrel."
Robert Louis Stevenson

[ Edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2014-05-13 14:34 ]

Nice one Sunny&Rummy, thanks. Anymore Anglerfish Tiki images out there? I thought Doug Horne had some but can't find anything

Pages: 1 4 replies