Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

VOLCANO drink

Pages: 1 14 replies

C

Hey tiki people. Ever hear of a drink called a "Volcano"? It tastes like a Planter's punch but it is served in a scorpion bowl on a bed of dry ice! A smoldering beauty! Not a new concept certainly but what an effect. It used to be served in a long-gone bar in Calgary, Alberta in CANADA and it was called "Tiki Tiki". Anyone ever been there? It was mondo Polynesian.

E

Aloha coconutz! Wish I'd caught some of your earlier posts. emspace here, born Calgary, raised Edmonton, living North Vancouver, addicted to Tiki. Nuff said.

Tiki Tiki in Calgary eh? Like this kine?

This swizzle is the actual item from the Edmonton Tiki Tiki, I guess it must have been a chain. It was swapped to me by our Edmonton TC'er Sweet Daddy Tiki. You from Calgary? Currently in Calgary? Howzabout an intro?

emspace.

Heya emspace! North Vancouver?! One of my most fav Canadian places.
Yes I was born in Calgary and have been here ever since and have visited Edmonton, heard about their Tiki Tiki. Edmonton seems to have what we Calgarians lack and double ditto for Vancouver. Heard there is a Polynesian Room there straight out of the 50's.
Am also a tiki freak ever since visiting the Tiki Tiki and having my first Zombie, Volcano and Planter's Punch there. We also have another bar in town called the Bamboo Room but have yet to visit it. I have been collecting tiki everything for quite awhile. Do you have any tiki wall masks? They can be had cheaply at flea markets and even in some Vancouver shops at Grant Island Market. Wow a fellow tiki-ite! Aloha to ya too. Got any tiki bar pix to show me or a favorite tiki item?

E

Nice to meet ya coconutz! You mean there's a Tiki Tiki in Calgary still? Is it decorated in its original style? Cuz if so, that beats the hell out of the Waldorf - it's closed, and is in a terrible neighbourhood! It only opens very rarely for private events now, used to be a punk room in the early 90s (don't know how it survived that!). We have currently NO open Tiki places in Van. I read about the Bamboo Room and it sounds cool enough as a new place.

I started on Tiki mugs and CoCo Joes (little lava souvenir statues from Hawaii, you probably know them), and have lately moved into swizzle sticks. Room is a factor - no bar or wall stuff yet, all my stuff resides on a bookshlef in the tiny office room I'm typing in right now. I just won two eBay auctions 2 days ago in fact: a Kahiki skull mug (I am nuts about th Kahiki, it is kind of my ideal dream restaurant, never saw it in real life alas) and a tall CoCo Joe, they should be on their way to me soon. I have a Mr. Bali Hai that I think of as my prize mug, but the most exciting thing I ever got was a drinks menu from the Beachcomber in Edmonton, the Tiki restaurant I was taken to many times by my folks in the early to late 60's. It was given to me by TC'er fartsatune, who's from Winnipeg.

What can I say, except long live Canadian Tiki! If the Tiki Tiki still stands, could you fire me an address for it? There's a good chance the family and I will be in Calgary in the fall (my Mom lives there), and we could meet up - if it's closed or mangled beyond recognition (as happened to the Edmonton one), then at the Bamboo Room?

RSVP and aloha,
emspace.

Belated greetings coconutz.

Wow! Another Alberta TCer. Soon we'll need to get a bigger phonebooth for our annual regional convention.

The very first tiki mug I bought at a thrift store is from Calgary:

The bottom says "Hing Wah Co, Calgary, 266-3180". Is this a restaurant & does it still exist? These mugs are fairly common here, I have 3 and I see them every once in awhile.

If you or emspace (or any other TCer for that matter) are ever in Edmonton, let me know & we can meet up. There aren't any tiki bars here, per se, but I just discovered that there's a Malaysian restaurant that makes "old school" tiki drinks -- mai tais, scorpions, suffering bastards, doctor funks, etc. They even serve some of them in moai bowls they got from Trader Vic's. My eyes bugged out when the waiter brought one to the next table (I tried to buy one from the bartender but they only had about six and weren't going to part with them). The decor isn't all it could be (no tikis, no fishnets, etc.) but they do have fake palm trees all over the place, those wicker chairs with the big round backs (I forget what they're called) at some tables, and the waiters wear tropical shirts. Best of all, the food is fantastic!

SDT

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki on 2003-07-23 16:02 ]

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2007-04-09 17:48 ]

E

Aloha SDT! Check your email regarding the Hing Wah Co, I am hoping we can work a trade.

excited, you bet,
emspace.

On 2003-07-23 10:33, emspace wrote:
Nice to meet ya coconutz! You mean there's a Tiki Tiki in Calgary still?

No, unfortunately, its long, long gone. Early 70's I'd say it closed.

Is it decorated in its original style? Cuz if so, that beats the hell out of the Waldorf - it's closed, and is in a terrible neighbourhood!

Ours was very Polynesian complete with fish nets, bamboo walls, large assortment of tiki mugs, tropically-clad servers, authentic Hawaiian floor shows in the restaurant, puffer fish and tiki head lamps, very dimly lit. Moan...

It only opens very rarely for private events now, used to be a punk room in the early 90s (don't know how it survived that!). We have currently NO open Tiki places in Van. I read about the Bamboo Room and it sounds cool enough as a new place.

Legend has it that it has survived from the 50's!

I started on Tiki mugs and CoCo Joes (little lava souvenir statues from Hawaii, you probably know them),

Yes have a few key chain tikis with jewel eyes and a crab mounted on lava.

and have lately moved into swizzle sticks. Room is a factor - no bar or wall stuff yet,

I collect all kinds of heads for the wall plus a statuette or two.

all my stuff resides on a bookshlef in the tiny office room I'm typing in right now. I just won two eBay auctions 2 days ago in fact: a Kahiki skull mug (I am nuts about th Kahiki, it is kind of my ideal dream restaurant, never saw it in real life alas) and a tall CoCo Joe, they should be on their way to me soon.

Great!

I have a Mr. Bali Hai that I think of as my prize mug, but the most exciting thing I ever got was a drinks menu from the Beachcomber in Edmonton,

Oh yes, we once had a Beachcomber here too also long gone.

the Tiki restaurant I was taken to many times by my folks in the early to late 60's. It was given to me by TC'er fartsatune, who's from Winnipeg.

What can I say, except long live Canadian Tiki! If the Tiki Tiki still stands, could you fire me an address for it?

It WAS on 8th Ave next to the Holiday Inn.

There's a good chance the family and I will be in Calgary in the fall (my Mom lives there), and we could meet up - if it's closed or mangled beyond recognition (as happened to the Edmonton one), then at the Bamboo Room?

Bamboo Room is called atiki bar but I have yet to experience it. I shall and report on it to ya. Next best thing would be a Tropical Rainforest restaurant.

RSVP and aloha,
emspace.

Nice to meet and greet. Love this tiki craze following!

On 2003-07-23 15:03, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
Belated greetings coconutz.

Hey what a cool name!

Wow! Another Alberta TCer. Soon we'll need to get a bigger phonebooth for our annual regional convention.

Never heard of it or was that the one in SanFrancisco a while back?

The very first tiki mug I bought at a thrift store is from Calgary:

The bottom says "Hing Wah Co, Calgary, 266-3180". Is this a restaurant & does it still exist?

Have to check, sounds more like an import shop in Chinatown. They have limited amounts of tiki stiff there.

These mugs are fairly common here, I have 3 and I see them every once in awhile.

If you or emspace (or any other TCer for that matter) are ever in Edmonton, let me know & we can meet up.

That would be so tiki.

There aren't any tiki bars here, per se, but I just discovered that there's a Malaysian restaurant that makes "old school" tiki drinks -- mai tais, scorpions, suffering bastards, doctor funks, etc. They even serve some of them in moai bowls they got from Trader Vic's.

You should try taking some digital phots and sharing with the rest of us depraved(deprived) souls!

My eyes bugged out when the waiter brought one to the next table (I tried to buy one from the bartender but they only had about six and weren't going to part with them).

You could probably get a decent reproduced one at TikiFarm.

The decor isn't all it could be (no tikis, no fishnets, etc.) but they do have fake palm trees all over the place, those wicker chairs with the big round backs (I forget what they're called)

Queen Bamboo chairs

at some tables, and the waiters wear tropical shirts. Best of all, the food is fantastic!

Great to meet. Tiki lives again!

SDT

Okay. I ain't from Canada or anything as interesting as all that. Just wanted to say that the wife and I dined at The Aloha in Spartanburg, SC, this evening and that, although we didn't have one tonight, they make a pretty kick-ass Scorpion-Like concoction in a Volcano Bowl and call it The Flaming Volcano. Gotta be similar to the drink you mentioned at the get-go, Coconutz.

On 2003-07-25 23:27, coconutz wrote:

Hey what a cool name!

Thanks, it's an "homage" to Texas-born Canadian wrestler Sweet Daddy Siki

http://www.canoe.ca/SlamWrestling/siki.html

Never heard of it or was that the one in SanFrancisco a while back?

It was a joke about how few Alberta/Western Canadian/Canadian members there are on this list.

There aren't any tiki bars here, per se, but I just discovered that there's a Malaysian restaurant that makes "old school" tiki drinks -- mai tais, scorpions, suffering bastards, doctor funks, etc. They even serve some of them in moai bowls they got from Trader Vic's.

You should try taking some digital phots and sharing with the rest of us depraved(deprived) souls!

Will do.

E

[i]On 2003-07-26 13:00, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:

Thanks, it's an "homage" to Texas-born Canadian wrestler Sweet Daddy Siki

Oh man, the memories are flooding back: Tiger Tanaka, Abdullah the Butcher, and of course your congenial host Ed Whelan. It's Stampede Wrestling!

:), emspace.

E

On 2003-07-26 01:29, Traitor Vic wrote:
Okay. I ain't from Canada or anything as interesting as all that.

Is it interesting to be from Canada? Thanks, Traitor Vic! I think it's pretty damn cool to be from South Carolina too!

Coconutx, thanx for all teh clarificaiton on Tiki Tiki. I didnt' think it could really still be open, but hope springs eternal. Looking forward to any and all pics. Geez, I wonder if those Hing Wah mugs are still made?...

emspace.

I just got a volcano bowl from Oceanic Arts. I've looked up volcano recipes and they are all tasty, but I'm looking for a dark RED volcano drink, that I can blen and put in the bowl to look like not lava. Anyone got a blended dark red volcano drink?

Hot lava looks more like bright orange than dark red, does it not? In fact the hotter the lava is the more it shifts to white. Nevertheless, a dark red drink in a volcano bowl would still look pretty hot.

You're right, it is orange. I was just thinking of grenadine in the drink for a "lava look". What mix would make a bright orange I wonder. Orange juice and orange curcao maybe? Sounds like I'll have to experiment with "lava colored" drinks!

Pages: 1 14 replies