Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Good form or bad? Etiquette question

Pages: 1 16 replies

I spend a lot of time on eBay (sigh) and often come across some really neat auctions that might be of interest to my fellow TCers. I'm curious whether it would be appreciated for me to post links to the auctions so people can see it, or frowned upon because it may make winning the auction more difficult for those already bidding? Curious to hear people's perspectives.

I'd probably kill you if you posted something that I wanted to buy. So, if you want to die, go ahead.

Buzzy Out!

G
GROG posted on Sat, May 17, 2014 9:18 AM

If it something GROG is selling, then post it. If it something GROG is trying to buy, then DON'T post it. If it something Buzzy is interested in, post at your own risk.

But what if it was something you wanted to buy that you didn't KNOW about yet? Like that original Mai-Kai Mystery Bowl that's up right now under a really obscure listing, with a $5 starting bid and no reserve?

I say it's bad, if you know someone looking for a specific thing then send them a PM. Part of the joy of Tiki collecting is the find, if someone can't type in what they're looking for on ebay that's their loss.

I have always wondered the same thing Tacky. Boris gets my vote for best answer. If a TCer is selling, they should post a link in Marketplace. If a TCer is bidding, they don't want it posted. And if a TCer wanted to collect that piece they should have been hunting diligently.

Well at least there's a clear consensus! I'll refrain from posting them, then. Do your own digging! :)

T

If I see an item that I'm not buying but know that so and so would like it or it
would go well in their space would then email that person and say hey check this out.

To those inquiring: I was joking about the Mai Kai bowl. If I saw one for $5, I'd be posting it in Tiki Finds! :wink:

Having been here since before there was a tiki central and it was a yahoo message board, I can tell you that in the past that I've seen people post auctions that weren't theirs and people give them grief for it because they brought attention to something they wanted... You won't get any thank you's, just anger... at least that's how its always been.

the famous preached tiki central "ohana" doesn't stretch into ebay auctions and collecting....

Well it is all about human nature
and the very nature of an "Auction" is competition
the prize is acquiring a wanted item or even just winning the competition
many people will do anything to win, it is in our nature & goes back to a time
when people would engage in combat to win something, it had very little to do with etiquette or morals.

G
GROG posted on Sun, May 18, 2014 1:17 PM

ATP posting on a thread about etiquette--- now THAT's funny!! :lol:

I'll teach you how to use a fork & knife properly, Grog
then you might get invited to more BBQs :lol: :lol: :lol: & a :drink:

I saw an old thread on here where someone felt they got stiffed on a mug from another member and it turned UGLY. Like, lose faith in humanity ugly. I guess all's fair in love, war, and tiki collecting. I don't want to incur that wrath!

Maybe what we need is an "I'm looking for..." thread where people can say what it is they're looking for and other members who come across it but aren't interested themselves can let them know.

Now that's a good idea....

I agree. Excellent idea!

Somehow I have the feeling that not everyone has read this thread - ya dig

[ Edited by: Holler Waller 2015-02-26 10:07 ]

Pages: 1 16 replies