Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Would you like to help update Critiki?

Pages: 1 13 replies

H

I have had SO many people ask how they can help get Critiki up to date. I'm getting ready to dive in, let's do this! Top priority is going under the hood to get registration working again. Then I can turn my attention to getting the content up-to-date.

That's where you can help. I've set up a Critiki organization on a free collaborative tool called Trello. On Trello, Critiki has three boards, described below:

New Locations board
Locations that have opened but aren't yet in Critiki.

Defunct Locations board
Locations that have gone out of business, and Critiki has to be updated to reflect that.

Location Updates board
Locations that have undergone some changes. Maybe the business hours are out of date, or they have a new website, maybe they're under new ownership, maybe the text is just out-of-date.

I could use your help populating the To Do lists on these boards. Also, each "card" on the lists can be voted on, so you can help raise the really important updates up to the top of the priority list. The cards can have descriptions and comments, so it's a great place for us to compile all the info needed.

One cool things about using Trello is that you can see my progress as I go, you'll be able to see what I'm currently working on, and you can see what's already been tackled. It'll be great to have a visible list, so that four different people don't wind up submitting the same info.

To pitch in, create an account on Trello, and tell me your Trello username (either by posting it here, or send me a message). I will add you to the Critiki organization, and once I add you, you should be able to add items to any of the boards.

I'm new to the tool myself, so it's possible my explanation here is missing some detail to get you started. If that's the case, please don't be shy, speak up here, and we'll get a good primer going so everyone understands how to help.

http://trello.com

I'll also be working on getting pictures processed, as always you can help with that by submitting your pictures through Critiki.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2014-05-19 14:27 ]

Nice to see you on TC again, Humuhumu. :)

What if you'd like to add a defunct location which is not currently in Critiki? Which board should that go in? Or should we not be concerned with defunct locations unless they're already in the site?

H

Excellent question! Put those in New Locations. New defunct locations are some of my favorites. :D

H

Good news! Critiki's registration should now be fixed. If you haven't already registered for Critiki, and you've been wanting to, well then Merry Christmas.

H

We've got several people helping over on Trello now (thank you for all your PMs), and LOTS of updates queued up. Mahalo! If you join up and see an update you had in mind already on the list, there still may be more you can do, by tracking down details like contact info and hours, when a location opened/closed, that sort of thing. Or even just voting on which updates you think are most critical! Three Dots and a Dash has the most votes already, no surprise.

OH! If there is a particular update you're very interested in, and you see someone else has already added it in Trello, you can stay in the loop on the work happening on it and its ultimate completion by subscribing to it. I'm pretty happy with how Trello is working so far for tracking all these updates.

T

On 2014-05-19 14:20, Humuhumu wrote:
I have had SO many people ask how they can help get Critiki up to date. I'm getting ready to dive in, let's do this! Top priority is going under the hood to get registration working again. Then I can turn my attention to getting the content up-to-date.

That's where you can help. I've set up a Critiki organization on a free collaborative tool called Trello. On Trello, Critiki has three boards, described below:

New Locations board
Locations that have opened but aren't yet in Critiki.

Defunct Locations board
Locations that have gone out of business, and Critiki has to be updated to reflect that.

Location Updates board
Locations that have undergone some changes. Maybe the business hours are out of date, or they have a new website, maybe they're under new ownership, maybe the text is just out-of-date.

I could use your help populating the To Do lists on these boards. Also, each "card" on the lists can be voted on, so you can help raise the really important updates up to the top of the priority list. The cards can have descriptions and comments, so it's a great place for us to compile all the info needed.

One cool things about using Trello is that you can see my progress as I go, you'll be able to see what I'm currently working on, and you can see what's already been tackled. It'll be great to have a visible list, so that four different people don't wind up submitting the same info.

To pitch in, create an account on Trello, and tell me your Trello username (either by posting it here, or send me a message). I will add you to the Critiki organization, and once I add you, you should be able to add items to any of the boards.

I'm new to the tool myself, so it's possible my explanation here is missing some detail to get you started. If that's the case, please don't be shy, speak up here, and we'll get a good primer going so everyone understands how to help.

http://trello.com

I'll also be working on getting pictures processed, as always you can help with that by submitting your pictures through Critiki.

Sure, I'd be glad to help! I'll send you an email

[ Edited by: Tele295 2014-05-20 13:11 ]

H

Mahalo, everybody! I've now got a nice, big, chewy list of updates covering around 122 locations, and 10 people helping out over on Trello. As ever, kenbo-jitsu is the source of much awesome.

If you're looking on Trello to see if a particular location has been added to the To Do list, the Trello search feature works great. Even for locations that are already on the To Do list, you can still help by rounding up detailed information like hours of operation, street addresses, and the like.

Again, I can't thank you folks enough, both the helpers on Trello, and the many people who have sent me updates via email, or submitted images to Critiki (the source of the vast majority of my own additions to the Trello to do lists).

I can't express how excited I am that these sites are getting some mo' lovin'! :D

Are there new features for Critiki on the horizon, or is the current goal just getting caught up?

H

Exactly, my first goal is just to get Critiki caught up. Once I'm ready to start doing some programming, the new Ooga-Mooga is my top priority, but I have lots of features in mind for the next version of Critiki. Like the new Ooga-Mooga, when the time comes, it will be a ground-up overhaul with a more modern code structure.

T

Excellent news! Very exciting!

H

It's happening! Today I've added listings for Three Dots and a Dash, the new Tonga Hut in Palm Springs, Tiki Iniki, and Ventiki. It feels goooood.

H

Status update: 44 location listings have been updated so far, and the To Do list continues to grow. Many of those updates are minor, like updating operating hours or marking defunct locations as closed, so not all of them are reflected on the Latest Updates list on the site. If you want to keep up with only the best of the latest updates, I post those to the Critiki Facebook page.

Great, big thanks to the many folks who have helped, either on Trello or by sending me updates via email. Jumbo-size thanks to kenbo-jitsu, who has been especially thorough in tracking down updates. We're getting there, guys!

T

Thank YOU Humahuma!!!

Pages: 1 13 replies