Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Any little shops left in Waikiki?

Pages: 1 2 replies

We're heading over there in a few weeks. Been about 6 years since our last visit. Despite the growth at that time, there were still a few Mom and Pop shops, 2nd hand stores etc. on the fringes of Waikiki. The kind of place you could find some old nautical decor, a battered table top tiki etc. I doubt there is any such thing left but I figured if anyone knew of any hole in the wall shops around the area, folks on here would! Mahalo in advance!

K

Of course Bailey's Aloha Shirts on Kapahulu Ave, just outside of Waikiki is legendary, though pricey. You might enjoy Peggy's Picks which directly across the street & towards the mountains about a block or two. They have mostly "decor" tikis, carvings, decoration, art, etc.
I wouldn't rule out the Goodwills in town either. I find things there all the time. Just got a cute 70's Guam souvenir wooden plate today for 99 cents. The Beretania St. Goodwill is easily accessible from Waikiki directly on the #2 city bus (School/Middle Street)...takes you there directly, no tranfers, etc.

I suppose I can give away a few tips.

skip Peggy's picks. It's full of crummy balinese imports. Since Antique Alley Alley closed I'm not aware of any decent antique shops. The was a place in the Inter-irrational closed market Place that might have moved but i don't know where. If Mauna Kea Gallery is still open on McCully and King go. Very expensive.

Tip #1

Your closest thing to Waikiki is out of Waikiki on School Street. (808) 230-7015378 N School St Set 102 Aloha Antiques. I think George runs it. Then go to Savers off of Dillingham. Afterwards, Stop by Lion Coffee and see the Brownlee Broiler Plate from the Tahitian Lanai. It's the block behind Savers and to the right in Kalihi.

Ali'i Antiques in Kailua Town and a few others there have some older stuff.

Aloha Stadium - Stay to the inner ring where the families set up,but you'll have to be there REALLY early to beat Freddie and Gecko. Aiea too. They pick both clean Saturday and Sundays.

Pages: 1 2 replies