Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Splinters

Pages: 1 4 replies

P

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere (I couldn't find it if it's there), but what does everyone recommend for dealing with a very splintery old tiki?

I have a 3-4 foot tall carved tiki that, along the outside edges, is starting to splinter out. It's rough enough wood that I wouldn't want to try sanding it because it would just pull parts of the face off, but it's also becoming dangerous for anyone who might accidentally touch it. I have to wrap him in a blanket to move him and still end up "stung" half the time. He's an indoor tiki, so it isn't water or weather, but just age.

Is there anything I could coat him with that might soften the splintered bristles, or bind them to the rest of the body like some plasticising agent that would fill empty spaces?

Thanks for any help. I'm not a woodsmith and have no experience carving anything but spoons and toothpicks

P

if you figure out a way (other than wearing gloves) that will keep a palm tiki from giving you splinters, I for one am all ears.. :)

Hi Potato,
i guess i would cover him up in heavy varnish or epoxide resin.sand it and it should be good to touch!
good luck !

P

That's the only thing I could think of, but I was afraid of losing the wood texture to a plastic feeling and look. I want to get rid of the wood splinters without getting rid of the wood!

I'll look into a resin, thanks.

M

Fire Good! Burn, sand, repeat.... Then Finish!

Good luck my friend!

Mahalo!

Pages: 1 4 replies