Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

International Palms Resort - Cocoa Beach, Cocoa Beach, FL (motel)

Pages: 1 1 replies

Name:International Palms Resort - Cocoa Beach
Type:motel
Street:1300 N. Atlantic Ave
City:Cocoa Beach
State:FL
Zip:32931
Phone:(321) 783-2271

Description:
An old-style but surprisingly large Florida motor hotel with local Mai Tiki carvings (by Wayne Coombs and/or his staff) spread out liberally throughout the property. Although the tikis have been painted with colored highlights over the last few years, they are more authentically styled than the typical tiki fare seen in Florida.

The property has been remodeled several times over the past decades. A sister property is located in Orlando, and due to the business volume they experience, the management and staff is well above mom-and-pop level. Pool areas are clean and very well developed for kids and families. Rooms are available directly on the beach with nice views. Pricing is fairly reasonable depending on time of year. Some families return year after year because of the location, local attractions, and amenities. Primary guests are mostly vacationing families from surrounding areas north, south, and inland including a surprising percentage from neighboring states to the north.

The place is a bit tired in the to-be-expected style of "old Florida," but short of tearing the whole thing down and starting over, they do a surprisingly good job of maintaining the place. There is at least one restaurant and at least one beachside bar, and while not spectacular, they contribute significantly to the "completeness" of what is required to have a decent stay at the property. Other dining and drinking is available all around the resort. The resort also offers discounts quite frequently especially to their email list subscribers, but it is important for this property that you always compare prices in advance with online travel sites to ensure that you're really getting a good deal.

I would not go here for the "tiki factor" alone, but there are real Mai Tiki carvings present and they are interesting to find and look at even though the paint gives them a sort of whimsical look.

Web sites as of 6/4/2014: http://www.internationalpalmscocoabeach.com and http://www.ipcocoabeach.com

Sample photo of one of the Mai Tiki carvings at this location:

I recall, on my last visit, that not all of the tikis have been painted, but I'm really not 100% certain.

Pages: 1 1 replies