Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Is there a traditional way to make a Pimm's Cup?

Pages: 1 6 replies

CT

I just got my first bottle of Pimm's and was looking for a recipe, but I can't seem to find two that are the same. Am I supposed to use ginger ale or lemonade or 7up? Do I add fruit slices or do I muddle the fruit? Should I add a squeeze of orange? Do I even add fruit at all? And most of all, is the Pimm's to mixer ratio 3 to 1, or 4 to 1? Any advice from TC'ers would be appreciated.

You need borage leaves (if those are not available just use cucumber slices) and people literally add in anything and everything to the mix so tomato can even be added in. So basically whatever fruit you have on hand can go in the glass.

Do not muddle the fruit, just slices added to the glass.

Traditional is lemonade, but you can use ginger beer if you want more bite or sparkling wine.

On 2014-06-05 18:49, Const Tiki wrote:
I just got my first bottle of Pimm's and was looking for a recipe, but I can't seem to find two that are the same. Am I supposed to use ginger ale or lemonade or 7up? Do I add fruit slices or do I muddle the fruit? Should I add a squeeze of orange? Do I even add fruit at all? And most of all, is the Pimm's to mixer ratio 3 to 1, or 4 to 1?

any or all of the above.

they call it "Summer in a glass."

I like 4 oz Pimm's, 1 oz lemon juice, 1 oz simple syrup, shaken over ice and strained into a tall glass, garnished with a spear of cucumber, a lemon slice, half a strawrberry (you cheeky monkey), topped off w/about 2 oz seltzer water and a mint sprig.

Ideally you are able to find R. White's Fizzy Lemonade, but ginger ale works in a pinch. And English cucumbers are much better than normal cucumbers but they tend to be really expensive.

"If you keep on drinking rum, the world will soon be quit of a very dirty scoundrel."
Robert Louis Stevenson

[ Edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2014-06-05 21:46 ]

Oh, and anyone who wants to grow their own borage, I have tons of seeds from my plants, all you have to do is ask. Grows like a weed and supposedly helps keep hornworms away from tomato plants.

Sunny is right-- the cucumber should be English-style, which all the groceries carry these days.

In my opinion the cup has to be made with ginger ale. On the other hand there are a lot of other interesting drinks you can make with pimm's.

Take for instance the Pimm’s Lemon Mojito whic is made from lemon juice, mint leaves, sugar and Pimm's.

Or the Pimmlet: cucumber, mint, sugar syrup, gin and lime juice.

I wrote a blog about Pimm's and some 'other' cocktails one can make with it and the differetn varieties of it (winter cup, pimm’s blackberry & elderflower).

Cheers!

Pages: 1 6 replies