Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Is this Tiki or not?

Pages: 1 7 replies

B

Came across a bunch of these, and use them (with a votive candle in the top and snaz inthe bottom) in our Tiki bar basement? Can someone tell me what they are, and whether the black ones are better than the white ones? ANY information would be appreciated!

[ Edited by: broomist 2014-06-20 08:58 ]

Those would be Ubangi (African tribesmen), which are well known for their propensity of inserting large discs into their lips. And the inspiration for this offensive joke my dad once told me:
Q: What did one Ubangi say to another?
A: Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. Now you fan me for a while.

It is not technically tiki, but it certainly has conversational value! I think it's a serving dish. Bottom for chips, top for dip.

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-06-20 09:23 ]

B

Darn! They look Tiki-ish enough for me to keep them till something better comes along, and then it's off to Craig's List! Thanks!

B

oh. my. goodness. (That poster is just too much). I can't see usingthe top for dip (too small and too shallow) but I CAN see getting rid of these asap (LOL)!

I did a bit more reading. Turns out the term Ubangi is a misnomer; someone simply picked it off a map because it sounded "savage." They are actually Sara Kaba, and it is only the women that do it. The practice was ended in the mid-20th century. Now it's just Americans who practice it as a way of warning their compatriots that they are unsuitable in positions requiring good judgement.

On 2014-06-20 09:36, TikiTacky wrote:
... Now it's just Americans who practice it as a way of warning their compatriots that they are unsuitable in positions requiring good judgement.

... and as a preventative measure against being offered any type of traditional gainful employment, which they fear they might accept, in a moment of weakness.

There is truth to this... :lol:

Pages: 1 7 replies