Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Construction Tools Worth Buying

Pages: 1 6 replies

Just a quick post about what tools have been a lifesaver during my Tiki Basement project. This is really for folks that are doing a crazy construction build-out like I'm doing. When I started my Tiki bar, I only had a hammer and a palm sander, so a ton of money has been spent on tools. These are the ones that I wish I had bought sooner. Please feel free to add to the list and explain what you use it for.

1. Circular Saw: When I started out, I was using a really crappy table saw and was miscutting wood left and right. I bought a Makita for about $100 with a nice little light, so I nail my cuts every time. This can be replaced with a better table saw or miter saw for a lot more money.

2. Framing Nail Gun: I did 90% of my basement toeing in every beam with my foot and a hammer. It sucked, but I learned how to nail studs like a champ. Then I noticed that Harbor Freight has a framing gun for under $100 that has great reviews. Bought it and never looked back.

3. Router: I bought a palm one for hanging doors and am now learning how to do some Tiki carving for the moulding. Well worth $100. I bought a DeWalt.

4. A Solid Drill: This should be obvious, but I was using a crappy Black and Decker that couldn't drill crap. Bought a $100 Dewalt with two batteries during a Father's Day sale. Worth every penny.

5. Staple and finishing gun: See Framing Nail Gun, but for tacking up moulding and Tiki wall coverings.

6. Various Size Levels: Don't just stick with a little one. Buy a few of varying sizes from Harbor Freight.

7. Multimeter: Those wires could be live. These are like $10 at Home Depot and could save your life.

L

Don't forget the Rum and band aids!

-Longboard

M

One tool I never regret having too many of is a clamp.

Ive got about 20 or so clamps of various sizes. Its an extra set of hands when you are working alone.

My chop saw (compound miter saw) gets used almost every project.

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Jul 3, 2014 5:42 AM

Maybe this is a given, but I'd add a metal yardstick, Carpenter's pencil sharpener and a

carpenter's square.

And Irwin style clamps.

plus saw horses and a chop saw.

T

Yes, nail gun, compressor, drill, chop saw. Probably I should use safety glasses more, but always a good idea. "Safety is no accident."

Clamps are great, though I've used ratchet straps when clamps weren't long enough. Cable power tools over batteries, or extra batteries ready to go!

PP

wow this is great and helpful! Especially from someone who is tool impaired !! I'm murder with a hammer and really need to invest in a nail gun, and compressor for said nail gun and to renew my Blue Cross medical insurance. I'm told I'm not allowed to use power tools without adult supervision!!!

a 4 1/2" angle grinder. cutting, grinding, sanding, polishing, it does it all. make sure to buy a 4 1/2" and not a 4". the 4 1/2" opens you up to all kinds of other discs. they even make a chain saw type wheel for these things. my go to tool. also when yo are buying a cordless drill try to get the combo that includes an impact gun. there is nothing better for driving screws. SAFETY GLASSES!!!!

[ Edited by: gabemaita 2014-10-08 00:21 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies