Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki bought in Ft. Lauderdale

Pages: 1 5 replies

Swanky and I bought this little guy at the first and only antique shop we had time for while in Ft. Lauderdale for Hukilau. I think he's beautiful. He was the only tiki in the place other than some great postcards we picked up.

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2003-07-24 08:35 ]

Nice find. It looks to be a great companion piece to the tiki brought back for you from Bora Bora.

Amazing! I've been living here (in Ft Lauderdale) for 5 years and have searched every antique, goodwill, ect... in the whole area. Found a freshly made Mai Kai mug once for 2 bucks more than the Mai Kai down the street sells them for about 2 years ago. 'Bout it. Must be a talent (that I don't have). Back to #%^&*& ebay I go.

Nice Cook Islander, Christy!

Double WOW! Another nice score.

On 2003-07-24 21:40, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Nice Cook Islander, Christy!

Not quite, BK, it's a tourist carving from the Marquesas, in classic Marquesan style.

Might have been bought in Tahiti, since most Tikis you see there are Marquesan style, because the ancient Tahitians did not have a noteworthy carving tradition of their own. In the 20th century a lot of Marquesan carvers moved to Tahiti because of the tourist trade.

Funny thing is that the Marquesans don't really want to be part of French Tahiti, but their rich artistic tradition provides most of the Tiki AND Tatoo imagery there.

Pages: 1 5 replies