Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

bob lee's islander listing just ended

Pages: 1 11 replies

N

..and it went for $400. is it really that rare or do you think someone was gaming the system to cause a frenzy?

[ Edited by: nomeus 2014-07-21 17:06 ]

N

I wouldn't pay $400...

I'd buy that for a dollar!

N

getting drunk is like borrowing happiness from tomorrow

[ Edited by: nomeus 2014-07-21 18:00 ]

It's a pretty rare piece; I've only seen two others come up for auction in the last 13 years; $400 is about right in my book.

T

I dunno... I think it seems strangely high. The value being in a rare variation of a common mug. I have also seen it come up a couple times before but I can't remember it going this high. I presume whoever wanted it was focused on getting every Bob Lee Islander mug. This being one of them and a hard one to get.

I guess it's supply and demand at work. but you only need two people that want it bad enough - and only two people did all the bidding. This does happens sometimes where out of the blue a certain mug just goes sky high. Another crazy recent one is the Hawaiian Village 'Barrel O' Rum' mug that went for $350 - also only 2 bidders. On the flip side, a Steve Crane Bird bowl recently went for $99. Ebay can be pretty darn inconsistent at times!

The plane! The plane!

[ Edited by: Tattoo 2014-07-22 10:49 ]

N

I got the barrel...I was missing that piece

T

"I presume whoever wanted it was focused on getting every Bob Lee Islander mug."

Ha! more like focused on getting FIVE of every rare mug out there!
What do you want to bet this went to the same guy who got the other one 13 years ago.:)
a***k( 5087)

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2014-07-22 19:45 ]

N

Sounds like something I would do...I may or may not have picked up this bob lee mug :wink:

T

Who was the seller?
It used to be easy to see who got what, then eBay made it a bit harder to track.
Used to be fun to see the stuff some people would find on eBay, like looking at a catalog of EVERY tiki
thing out there.

Then you would come to find out that a few spend on tiki more than what many people make per year, nuts.
It would be so much stuff that you would think how can you have time to find, pay for and receive all
that tiki, it would be a full time job.

I want to see a book on those guys.
Or a tiki museum by those guys.
Would pay to see that.

N

Between liquor, barware and tiki stuff..I think I've spent apx 30k in the past year. Better than having a drug and/or gambling problem.

Pages: 1 11 replies