Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Smoking Lancelot

Pages: 1 13 replies

I've been trying out a Lancelot on my grinder, and it does seem to cut well... But is it supposed to be burning the wood as I cut with it? That thing creates so much smoke, it's like sticking my face directly above a campfire. It only creates smoke when in contact with the wood. I'm basically making deeply scortched grooves in the wood with it. Is this typical for that tool? Is there a way to acheive less burning / smoke?

P

it, uhhh, sounds like you've got the blade spinning backwards...

flip it around..

:wink:

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson: "Doh!" (That might also explain why it cuts so poorly). Thanks for the tip!

Did someone call?

P

don't feel bad... I did the same shit when I got mine...

I was like "this thing sucks... what a waste of money!!!"

and my buddy was like "turn the blade around you drunk dumbass..."

Lol... :wink:

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2014-07-28 05:28 ]

I'm definitely going for the Lancelot noob record...

I finally got it turned around and working well, and five minutes later I let my arm that was holding the grinder drop to my side immediately after I released the power trigger. Apparently the Lancelot blade was still spinning (though thankfully without power), so it caught my shorts and my leg. Fortunately, the resulting cut on my leg turned out to not be deep.

I'm trying hard to believe that this isn't the universe trying to tell me I shouldn't attempt tiki carving again...

[ Edited by: ToddVegas 2014-07-28 14:55 ]

C
cy posted on Mon, Jul 28, 2014 3:37 PM

Eric October (tobunga) teaches a class for making tikis out of paper. Get yourself some snippy scissors, eye protection, and gloves and enroll before you lose some of your digits.

P

yeah man... lancelots are very dangerous.

I don't use mine any more...

D

Yep, there ain't no room for focus drift with them, that's for sure.

EJ

On 2014-07-28 15:37, cy wrote:
Eric October (tobunga) teaches a class for making tikis out of paper. Get yourself some snippy scissors, eye protection, and gloves and enroll before you lose some of your digits.

I was wondering what that tiki was made of that you sold me at Caliente. Now I know. LOL!!!

I did the same thing, I was disappointed.. About halfway through I thought well I had it all apart, looked the the teeth and direction and it made a huge difference. I also don't use mine as much as my chainsaw now. Happy carving!

P

I've said this before and I'll say it again...

say what you want about lancelots... but my stihl 150tc with carving bar & microchain will outcarve a lancelot any old day of the week...

I've used lancelots for about 4 years. I like the light weight of the grinder. I do pay serious attention when ever I use it and have had no issues. I recently bought a new chain for my Makita. It out performed the lancelot so much that I changed the blade and only used the grinder for sanding. I'll post the newest tiki in a sec.

N

Hello I am new to tiki central I started as a ice carver and when the lancelots came out in the 90s ice carvers tried it. I did not like it looks scary. I think their was a king that used a sword called the lancelots and he used it to slice people. Ominous warning! thank you for letting me share

Pages: 1 13 replies