Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

2017 Roll Call for TCers in the DC, MD, & Northern Virginia area

Pages: 1 2 51 replies

(It's been over a year now since the last post, with several new spots to potentially gather at, I though it worth a new call out)

Not 100% sure if this is the right section, but I'm looking to hear from TCers who are in my local area. I'm sure that there is some interesting info to share if I knew who was in the area. Especially from those who may have spent more time searching for Tiki and Tiki related things in the area.

I'm living in the Maryland suburbs just outside of DC.

My favorite area spots are House of Foong Lin, Shanghai Village (both for their great food and classic Tiki drinks), and Founding Farmers (don't let the title fool you, they have some great Tiki cocktails). There are some other great places around serving some great Tiki drinks, but they don't seem to attract Tiki people consistently, so I find them lacking.

My favorite rum shopping spots are Ace Beverage in DC, Corridor in Laurel, and MacArthur's Beverages, also in DC.

I'm just starting to look for vintage vinyl, especially Exotica, but don't know what is in the area.

For anyone inclined to chime in, thanks - perhaps you'll list some area places that I haven't been to yet. I really enjoy checking out places that others recommend.

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2014-07-29 09:34 ]

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2016-09-28 06:03 ]

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2016-09-28 06:05 ]

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2016-09-28 06:24 ]

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2017-01-18 13:02 ]

D

I live in Northern Virginia, about 10 minutes north of Dulles. I've been interested in Tiki for 3 or 4 years now.

I don't go out to drink very often -- we have two young kids and there aren't any good bars close to me -- but I have a Tiki bar in my basement that satisfies most of my drinking urges.

I write about booze at Professor Cocktail with the occasional piece on Tiki-related subjects. I also wrote a recipe ebook about the Zombie cocktail.

J

I live on the Kensington Riviera.

Just met Dr Corba last Thursday night. Fun time with that crowd.

The local thrifts are a treasure trove of Exotica and Polynesian vinyl.

D

I didn't know Kensington had a Riviera!

I'm kind of bummed that Hogo is closing and I never even had a chance to visit.

Tom Brown (the owner) gave me an original cocktail, inspired by the Zombie, to include in my book.

I

I live in Falls Church. I have found NO worthy tikiness in the DC area so I am jazzed about trying the couple you mentioned. I am actually kind of bummed because we are selling our house and I had to pack the vast majority of my booze (including 20 bottles of Lemon Hart :). So my bar is lacking and I'm a really long way from the Tiki-ti. My only consolation is the big patch of mint in the garden and a pile of limes.

Would live to get a local group together sometime.

T

House of Foong Lin and Shanghai Village in Bethesda are both faves of mine too - I live in N. Arlington and can get across Chain Bridge to get there - it's only about 7 miles that way. They have great food and the drinks are awesome. Tiki-Thirstday's at House of Foong Lin is always a great time too. Find that on Facebook, and I'll see you all there!

I'm a former Fairfax County-an who escaped to Richmond 12 years ago. (Barely any traffic, must lower cost of living, lots of great arts venues, restaurants . . . people will catch on soon.) I'm always eager to hear if anything tiki goes in DC of the VA 'burbs because I've still got a familial pull that direction.

R

Huzzah! Hope everybody here knows about Tiki Thirstdays at House of Foong Lin in Bethesda!
Does the phrase $5 Mai Tais mean anything to ye???

More info: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TikiThirstday/

Cheers,
Rupe
Silver Spring

[ Edited by: rupe33 2014-08-06 11:57 ]

D
DCinDC posted on Wed, Aug 6, 2014 1:49 PM

I am also in Falls Church. Clare and Don's next to the State Theater has a semi-tiki vibe, especially on the back patio. Otherwise not much around. It would be great to get a group together somehow.

I
Iscah posted on Wed, Aug 6, 2014 2:09 PM

Sounding off in Gaithersburg! I'm more or less a regular at the Thursdays at Foong Lin.

As for shopping... I found most of my good vinyl when I lived in so Cal. I haven't found anything good since moving here four years ago.

As for liquor, I have a hodge-podge collection of places. Tell me what you're looking for and I'll decide where to go based on that. I may have recently driven to Elkton because I wanted a bottle of Mac Nut liqueur. :wink: I'm also pretty sure I picked up the last bottles of Tommy Bahama rum in the state of Maryland last weekend. I don't love the rums, but there they were on a shelf in Urbana, discontinued bottles with a layer of dust on them. It seemed a shame to leave them there.

If anyone posting here is interested in a meetup at one of your local/favorites, pick a date and let's give 'er a go.

I

I'm game for that! :)

D

I'm game too. Maybe somewhere in DC since its central?

DC, you are first out of the gate. If you pick where, I think we can get several people for a scouting party.

I live in Alexandria, VA, and you can see some photos of my home Tiki Lounge here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/drzarkov/

If you go to the music thread on Tiki Central you will see playlists posted for my weekly music show on Radio Fairfax called (appropriately enough) Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge.

H
Hearn posted on Fri, Aug 22, 2014 7:55 AM

Not sure if this is the appropriate location for this post? , but I'm a long-time TC'r and we're having a BIG Yard Sale this Saturday (Aug 23) including $5 Vintage (and New) Tiki Mugs

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/gms/4631469890.html

If you are a NoVa/DC/Md Tc'r and you show up, just let me know and I'll show you the TomAndrea Lounge!

On 2014-08-22 07:55, Hearn wrote:
Not sure if this is the appropriate location for this post? , but I'm a long-time TC'r and we're having a BIG Yard Sale this Saturday (Aug 23) including $5 Vintage (and New) Tiki Mugs

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/gms/4631469890.html

If you are a NoVa/DC/Md Tc'r and you show up, just let me know and I'll show you the TomAndrea Lounge!

Very kind of you to offer the tour!

H
Hearn posted on Fri, Aug 22, 2014 9:05 AM

Not at all!

We just got our TOMANDREA sign from Tiki Tony a few weeks ago!

I

Do you have more than one bar stool by any chance?

I live in Annandale (Lake Barcroft)and will happily hula down there Saturday Morning. Looking forward to meeting you, touring the bar, and buying some mugs.

Lee

H

Alas...just the one

Looking forward to meeting ya! (Love Lake Barcroft!)

D

I could use some mugs, but I'm too lazy to drive to Annandale. :)

Grand to have met Hearn, Andrea, and I-Tiki (Lee) at the yard sale. Well worth the drive in from Gaithersburg. We see you all again soon at Tiki Thirstday!

Sometimes picking a place and time is the toughest part of getting together.

For anyone who posted here on the roll call, why not start off by swinging by House of Foong Lin on any Thursday night. There are 24 - 36 of us local Tikiphiles are already there on an average Thursday night. We could easily get 6-10 from the regulars there to pick a spot and time to check out some of the other DC/VA spots.

Let's get the shaker going! :drink:

DC

In case anyone is or can be tempted... drink menu from House of Foong Lin.
On Thursday nights, they have $5 Mai Tai '44s. No better deal anywhere else around here!

[ Edited by: Dr. Coruba 2015-02-09 06:26 ]

DC

Tonight, October 9th, is Tiki Thirstday XXX, come on by and meet 2 to 3 dozen local tikiphiles.

House of Foong Lin
4613 Willow Lane
Bethesda, MD 20815

DC

A little off topic...

You can now get a decent Mai Tai at the bar in the new Arclight Cinemas in Bethesda (Montgomery Mall). I noticed (surprisingly) that the bar had a bottle of Fee Brothers Orgeat. I asked the bartender if he knew how to make a Mai Tai. He said no, but if I knew the recipe, he'd give it a go. He did a decent job and asked me write it down for him. He thinks it is a keeper, and while you will not find it on the menu, if you ask for Kenny, he'll be glad to fix you up.

Arclight Mai Tai
1.0 oz Mt. Gay Eclipse
1.0 oz Don Q
.5 oz Orgeat
.5 oz Cointreau (they don't have curacao)
.75 oz fresh lime juice
.25 oz Simple syrup

Thought it would be worth giving this a bump and see what comes of it.

I still think it would be great to get the area tikiphiles out for an evening or afternoon. Any ideas for where or when welcome here.

One idea for those interested in fine rums, there is a place in North Bethesda, just 2 minutes north of the Beltway - Paladar Latin Kitchen. It has an incredibly deep rum list and they have very affordable rum flights and a unique way of sampling from their rum list. They do 1/2 oz "tastes" and regular pours of rum. Starting at only $2.95 and a rum stock greater and more diverse than most liquor stores, it is a great way to try a rum you've never had without buying a whole bottle on a guess.

Paladar's rum list:

• Kraken Black Spiced, Trinidad
  • Captain Morgan Spiced, Puerto Rico
  • Sailor Jerry's Spiced Navy Rum, Virgin Islands
  • Chairman's Reserve Spiced, St. Lucia
  • Captain Morgan Private Stock, Puerto Rico
    AGED RUM
  • Cruzan Aged Dark 2 Yr, St. Croix
  • El Dorado 5 Yr, Guyana
  • Rhum Barbancourt Reserve Speciale 8 Yr, Haiti
  • Ron Abuelo 7 Yr, Panama
  • Brugal Anejo, Dominican Republic
  • Plantation Grand Reserve 5 Yr, Barbados
  • Bacardi 8, Bahamas
  • Chairman's Reserve 5 Yr, St. Lucia
  • Ron Atlantico Reserva 10 Yr, Dominican Republic
  • Ron Matusalem Gran Reserve 15 Yr, Dominican Republic
  • Mount Gay Black Barrel, Barbados
  • Ron Abuelo 12 Yr, Panama
  • Zaya Gran Reserva 12 Yr, Trinidad
  • Flor De Caña Centenario 12 Yr, Nicaragua
  • Pyrat XO Reserve 15 Yr, West Indies
  • Mount Gay Extra Old, Barbados
  • El Dorado 12 Yr, Guyana
  • Ron Atlantico Private Cask 25 Yr, Dominican Republic
  • Plantation XO Reserve, Barbados
  • Ron Zacapa Centenario Grand Reserve 23 Yr, Guatemala
  • Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva 12 Yr, Venezuela
  • El Dorado 15 Yr, Guyana
  • Flor De Caña Centenario 18 Yr, Nicaragua
  • Appleton Estate 21 Yr, Jamaica
  • Pyrat Cask 1623, West Indies
    DARK RUM
  • Cruzan Black Strap, St Croix
  • Gosling's Black Seal, Bermuda
  • Myers Original Dark, Jamaica
    GOLD RUM
  • Appleton Special Gold, Jamaica
  • Flor De Caña Gold 4 Yr, Nicaragua
  • Mount Gay Eclipse Gold, Barbados
  • Appleton Estate V/X, Jamaica
  • 10 Cane, Trinidad
  • Cruzan Single Barrel, St Croix
    WHITE RUM
  • Bacardi Light, Puerto Rico
  • Cruzan Aged Light, St. Croix
  • El Dorado 3 Yr, Guyana
  • Flor De Caña Extra Dry 4 Yr, Nicaragua
  • Captain Morgan White, Puerto Rico
  • Ron Atlantico Platino, Dominican Republic
  • Chairman's Reserve Silver, St. Lucia
J

Actually, I have been meaning to hit another Thirsty Thursday soon. This time I will wear the proper garb.

KG

Wasn't aware this thread existed. Always interested in finding other locals with a love for Tiki. I'm in Baltimore, and am definitely going to try to make it to several Tiki Thirstdays this Summer. But getting together at someone's outdoor Tiki shack/indoor lounge/or hut for recipe swaps, tiki-talk, and general cocktail fun sounds like a great idea to me also. Provided I'm free when it's scheduled, I'll be there, with my wife in tow...

KG

oh, also, for anyone interested that doesn't know, there is a locals get together happening this Saturday at Coconut Joe's in Edgewater at 5pm. I'll be coming by to meet some of the TC group. Never been here before. Looks fun. Maybe I'll see some of you there!

http://coconutjoesusa.com/

DC

On 2015-06-04 05:20, Kahiki Guy wrote:
But getting together at someone's outdoor Tiki shack/indoor lounge/or hut for recipe swaps, tiki-talk, and general cocktail fun sounds like a great idea to me also. Provided I'm free when it's scheduled, I'll be there, with my wife in tow...

Something not at a restaurant or bar would be great.

T

Kahiki Guy wrote:
oh, also, for anyone interested that doesn't know, there is a locals get together happening this Saturday at Coconut Joe's in Edgewater at 5pm. I'll be coming by to meet some of the TC group. Never been here before. Looks fun. Maybe I'll see some of you there!

Hmmmm I didn't know this was scheduled we may show up for this, was this posted at TC? (:

I
I-Tiki posted on Thu, Jun 4, 2015 3:19 PM

Getting together sounds great. My bar isn't quite ready for prime time yet, but in a couple of months I may be willing to host.

In the meantime, let me know when and where.

Lee

Life's Too Short To Drink a Bad Mai-Tai.

[ Edited by: I-Tiki 2015-06-04 15:22 ]

[ Edited by: I-Tiki 2015-06-04 15:38 ]

KG

On 2015-06-04 14:42, Thortiki wrote:
Kahiki Guy wrote:

Hmmmm I didn't know this was scheduled we may show up for this, was this posted at TC? (:

No, one of the local TC'ers PM'd me and told me about it. It was on the FOM board, of which I am not a member, so it was news to me. But nonetheless, there will be a group of locals meeting there at around 5pm tomorrow. I'll be there (this will be my first meet & greet) and I'm sure a few more will be too. There are 3 bars at coconut joes according to their website, but I'm sure we'll be easily identifiable with our group in loud Hawaiian shirts lol. Hope to see some of you there!

Aloha!

T

Thanks to Kahiki Guy, Johnny Dollar et al yesterday @ Coconut Joe's. We hadn't seen some of these folks in years. (:

KG

Glad to meet you and the rest of the group! Hope to see you all again soon!

Aloha!

was great to see you again Thortiki & wahine, and great to "meet" you Kahikiguy and wahine! :D

S

Holy cow. I picked a decent time to pop back in. I'm in Germantown. I'll have to keep an eye out for activity here in the area.

M
Makau posted on Sat, Aug 8, 2015 8:58 PM

been lurking, finally signed up, glad to see tiki-philes in the general area...

Stac

check out this thread if you all are interested!!! http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=49573&forum=4&2

On 2015-08-08 20:58, Makau wrote:
been lurking, finally signed up, glad to see tiki-philes in the general area...

Stac

Welcome Makau. Hope to see you at an upcoming TC event. Glad to see another MD Tikiphile has joined the ranks.

Aloha.

This thread has gotten a little dusty so I thought it worth a check in.

The DC area has had a bump in Tiki and Tiki curious bars, so maybe it is time to sound the conch again for a new DC area roll call. Who is still in the DC area, and who might be up for a meet up at some of the new spots in DC/VA/MD?

J

Still here am I.

We have hightailed it west, so if you all are in Columbus OH check in with me - we plan on getting our tiki bar operational asap! johnny_dollar at hotmail dot com. Plus, THE GRASS SKIRT TIKI ROOM!!! :D

Looks like you an Kitty have found a prime spot in Cbus and have a great hometown Tiki bar in The Grass Skirt. Aloha and smooth sailing.

Saturday, October 15 at 5pm (ish)

A few of the local Ohana are going over to Archipelago in DC.
(won't be hard to spot, look for the guy in the Tiki shirt with a goatee)

Just a check in...
Who has checked out some of the newer spots like Archipelago, or the re-opened Passenger? I've also heard that Todd Thrasher is involved with a new bar that will be Tiki forward (at least) on the waterfront in the Maine Ave area which will be opening later this year.

W

Adding us to the roll call. We are in RVA, a little far from DC, but would be willing to come up, probably stay the night for the right event.

Pages: 1 2 51 replies