Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

PNG skull painting

Pages: 1 15 replies

Z

Just an fyi. I'm sure it's been discussed before but I'm on the road on the cell and can't read all the small print :P

When painting roundish objects, I use a bag of rice to hold them in place. The larger the bag the better the hold. It's gentle on most media and you can chose any material for the bag.

This work-in-progress may not make the cut but I can't blame the rice bag. Just an example.

(Trying this from my cell, hope it works.)

wow...that's creepy good! looks like a head hunter word find on the top.

do you have any progress pics? looks like you fill in the eyes and embed cowrey shells?

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2014-07-29 14:15 ]

Oh, that is freaking cool! Where did you get the skull to start with?

Z

All I have is an original pic of the resin skull. There are two kinds offered on eBay from somewhere in China. This one, with the moving jaw and antique glazing, and another simpler one-piece with no antiquing. They're from the same cast of a real skull that looks just a tad smaller than average.

I use air-hardening clay that stays pliable for hours. Mixed it with black and brown paint and filled the eyes and added the nose, and the cowrie shells. Colors are all mixed variables of off-white, yellow ochre, brown, black. Tried for all earth tones.

Long way to go yet.

When that thing's done, I bet you can sell it on eBay for $100. You can go into business making $3 an hour! :wink:

In other words, it's obvious you put a ton of time into that, and it looks awesome. I would never have believed it wasn't real.

"You can't eat real Polynesian food. It's the most horrible junk I've ever tasted." —Trader Vic Bergeron

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-07-29 15:34 ]

Well done. I've used a bunch of plastic bags to hold my mugs but your idea is so much better, thank you, Wendy

On 2014-07-29 15:16, Zinctiki wrote:
Colors are all mixed variables of off-white, yellow ochre, brown, black. Tried for all earth tones.

You NAILED the colors! Perfect!

Z

Thanks, everybody.

Wendy, I was thinking of ceramic artists when posting this. If a new piece is very detailed, the bag might still leave an impression. Just using dry rice in a large bowl might disperse the weight better. But the bag membrane is what holds the shape of the piece, so... not sure.

[ Edited by: Zinctiki 2014-07-30 07:49 ]

Experimentation the joy of living as a human. Wendy

Found some great reference photos if anyone is interested: http://www.tribalartasia.com/Tribal%20Art%20Asia%20Human%20Skulls/Tribal-Art-Human-Skulls.html
And
http://www.tribalartasia.com/TRIBAL_ART_SKULLS/Human_Trophy_Skulls.html

"You can't eat real Polynesian food. It's the most horrible junk I've ever tasted." —Trader Vic Bergeron

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-07-30 08:05 ]

S

That is really amazing! WOW!!!! :D

I loooove PNG decorated skulls!

I made some myself a few years back.. I need to try filling in like you did, with clay. I did the opposite; removed jaw, some teeth and resin from eye sockets and tried to distress nose a little more..
First skull I got at Amazon- it's one of those medical skull deals, and second one was a cheap Halloween store one, haha!

You did a great job, I absolutely love it!!!!! Are you making these for yourself or for sale?

Here are the ones I did.. Last one isn't quite finished..

-Lena.

Z

On 2014-07-30 08:10, spiked wrote:

I made some myself a few years back.. I need to try filling in like you did, with clay. I did the opposite; removed jaw, some teeth and resin from eye sockets and tried to distress nose a little more..
First skull I got at Amazon- it's one of those medical skull deals, and second one was a cheap Halloween store one, haha!

You did a great job, I absolutely love it!!!!! Are you making these for yourself or for sale?

[crop]

-Lena.

Ho HOO! Wow, Lena, those are awesome! Doing the worn look came out great. I was deciding which teeth to remove from this one also. Your headdresses are excellent! I still don't know how to approach that yet - other than stealing your ideas :) j/k

No, not for selling, this guy's going on a stack of three skulls on a spear. Working on a Disneyesque Trader Sam's/Tiki Room look for a corner of the room.

I like it! Very authentic looking

Z

Just saw that the concept is not only not new, the PNG are doing these resin skulls and selling them. This seller is from Thailand. I think the skulls are the same as I'm getting from China.

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=seller%3Ablackhornetz+head+hunter&isNewKw=1&_sop=12&_pgn=1&epp=24&itemId=&fads=1&mfs=SBCLK&acimp=0&sqp=seller%3Ablackhornetz+head+hunter&trksid=p2053742.m2428.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xseller%3Ablackhornetz

S
spiked posted on Wed, Aug 6, 2014 6:25 AM

On 2014-07-30 08:31, Zinctiki wrote:

On 2014-07-30 08:10, spiked wrote:

[crop]

-Lena.

Ho HOO! Wow, Lena, those are awesome! Doing the worn look came out great. I was deciding which teeth to remove from this one also. Your headdresses are excellent! I still don't know how to approach that yet - other than stealing your ideas :) j/k

No, not for selling, this guy's going on a stack of three skulls on a spear. Working on a Disneyesque Trader Sam's/Tiki Room look for a corner of the room.

HAHA! Steal away! :)

I would like to do a fully 'beaded' skull soon. I'm obsessed with these two:

I wonder how hard it would be to carve set resin..

K
KAHAKA posted on Wed, Aug 6, 2014 7:29 AM

Looks great!!!!

Pages: 1 15 replies