Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Mysterious Tiki Find!

Pages: 1 8 replies

L

Hello everyone,
I have an eBay find that I am somewhat mystified about. It is a mask, made from palm wood, as far as I can tell. Lettering on the back says New Guinea, House Mask, and Hawaii.62. The gent who sold it to me said that it had come from the estate of a Disneyland employee and that it had been in Adventureland someplace. I did not put much stock in his account as it was vague and he was trying to sell something. The price was right, though, and I liked it, so it is on my wall. It is old, but beyond that, I have seen nothing else like it on the web. Any ideas or leads would be very much appreciated!
Thanks!

It is a cheap tourist piece (or a poorly done copy) It doesn't look vintage even
And nowhere close to Disney quality work, so that story is B.S.
how much did he get you for?

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Aug 5, 2014 9:21 AM

There is this guy who took tickets at Disney, and this was in his house...

Not PNG.

L

I suspected as much, but I still think it is fun and paid very little for it. I disagree about the age. I deal in (non-tiki) antiques and the patina is real on this piece, and it has been used somewhere. it probably does date from the 1960s. Now that we have established that it is tourist junk, where is the tourist junk from would you imagine? Tourist trade in Hawaii? Also, what is up with the markings? I have waded through a fair bit of tourist junk online and find nothing similar.
Thanks again!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Aug 5, 2014 10:57 AM

Sounds like you're putting more time into it than it's worth.

L

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I am quite fond of it. :wink: Mostly, I am just curious, it's old and I have seen nothing like in 40 something years of traveling around Hawaii and the South Pacific. I do believe that it is tourist junk, but even tourist junk comes from somewhere and has a history. This is just a bit of fun...not everything has a pedigree...

If the signage is to be believed then it is from Hawaii
the design is a very loose "interpretation" of a PNG bird
the placement of the screws for attaching the hanger is unfortunate
and shows a major lack of skill, by the maker.

The cord used for a hanger is nylon parachute cord, since it is orange
it was probably from the 1970s or later, pre Para-Sails, common to the US navy
but not exclusive, most parachute makers in the 1960s used white
cord, of course the cord used could have been replaced at a later date.

I couldn't help but notice in your pictures, that much of the wear in the wood
is painted over, now all this means is your item may have a newer then original coat of paint
but raises a flag for me.

That is all your going to get about this item unless you talk to who ever made it.

lalamus,
I like it! That makes at least two of us! :lol:
And if it were inexpensive enough - whatever the tale attached - I'd have bought it too :wink:

Enjoy!
:D

L

Thanks for the tips and for taking a moment to write! I am also happy to know that at least one other person is charmed by this little guy!
Best! :D

Pages: 1 8 replies