Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

tiki painting-need some information

Pages: 1 18 replies

D

Ok, please forgive my description but I'm looking for a painting and need information. This was a picture that was basically one of those bargain basement type of things in the late 60's (???). it's a dark painted background with a single tiki statue. If any of you have been to Hala Kahiki in River Grove, Il it's near the front bar. I would really like to get one of these and have no idea where or how. I figured if I had more info on the picture, that would help out a great deal.

I beleive you are referring to a print called "Pearl of Wisdom" - at least I think that's the name. I've seen it on Ebay quite a bit. Can't remember the name of the artist though.

August Holland!

I remembered!

D

does anyone have any information on obtaining one of these? I'm right outside of chicago.

Just look for it on Ebay. I don't see it on augustholland.com.

K

Dawn, look on page 14 of "Tiki Finds" in this thread, Basement Kahuna posted a picture of the Pearl of Wisdom print. I've been drooling over it ever since. But don't worry about me finding it on e-bay before you. I decided to paint my own version of it. I just finished the pineapple last night. If you do find more than one on e-bay, please let us know because someday I'd like to have the real one. Happy Hunting!

K

Dawn,
BK is an antiques dealer here in Georgia specializing in mid century. He might be selling the one he posted on Tiki Finds. It's worth asking if you want it.....

Scotty

Wow. I feel special... I found mine about a year ago at a Salvation Army store for $15. It's nice to learn it actually has an artist and a title.
-Z

A

Here are the two August holland Tiki Paintings.

Mahalo,
Al

Geez, I saw one at Value Village about a month ago and didn't buy it [sound of head banging on wall repeatedly]

I would go for it on ebay. I've seen it go for about $30 but it's rare that you find it. Save August Holland in your favorite searches and if you're patient enough you'll get a bargain.

Also, if I find one I'll let you know. Swanky and I will be going on the I27 Yard Sale this weekend and I'll keep a good lookout!

On 2003-07-28 11:23, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
Geez, I saw one at Value Village about a month ago and didn't buy it [sound of head banging on wall repeatedly]

I think that would be a great topic... amazing finds that for one stupid reason or another, we just passed up- only to kick ourselves later (repeatedly!) I once found a set of 4 Mai Kai mugs (short, grey-ish with handle. pictured in BOT, no page number with me) they were $10. I had $10. But I was at one of those city-wide garage sales and I thought, "what if something better at another table?"
When I finally made it back around (1hr later) they were gone. My wife kindly reminds me of it once a month or so.
Humph!

[i]On 2003-07-28 12:21, Feelin' Zombified

I think that would be a great topic... amazing finds that for one stupid reason or another, we just passed up- only to kick ourselves later (repeatedly!)

I was thinking that too. I'll start a new topic. Look for "The one that got away."

I once found a set of 4 Mai Kai mugs (short, grey-ish with handle. pictured in BOT, no page number with me) they were $10. I had $10. But I was at one of those city-wide garage sales and I thought, "what if something better at another table?"
When I finally made it back around (1hr later) they were gone. My wife kindly reminds me of it once a month or so.

Insult to injury!

-SDT

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki on 2003-07-28 17:42 ]

D

On 2003-07-28 12:09, tiki_kiliki wrote:
I would go for it on ebay. I've seen it go for about $30 but it's rare that you find it. Save August Holland in your favorite searches and if you're patient enough you'll get a bargain.

Also, if I find one I'll let you know. Swanky and I will be going on the I27 Yard Sale this weekend and I'll keep a good lookout!

That sounds great unfortunately I'm saving any money that I have for Exotica.

B

The other August Holland tiki print that Al showed a picture of is titled "The Power Within" it's very cool also (check out the tikis in the trellis/screens on either side). I think it's harder to find than the Pearl of Wisdom, but maybe just 'round these parts.

You may want to visit Trader Dave's shack at the all night flea market the weekend of Exotica, there may be a Pearl of Wisdom there....

D

I definitely will. That's one of the things I'm saving my money for, well that and I've got to get my hands on one of those tiki mugs at the KonaKai event.

Dawn,

Here's your chance to own that August Holland painting!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3240467927&category=35805

C

I want one too! I won't snipe it from Dawn though.

Drool.

D
Dawn32 posted on Wed, Sep 3, 2003 5:47 AM

Great. Thanks for the heads up.

Pages: 1 18 replies