Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

What's The Story Of This Trader Vic's Hawaii Mug?

Pages: 1 9 replies

OK, I've searched & searched & found this mug in several different threads including Crypto Mugs & Tiki Finds, but I can't seem to find any history or concrete info on it. It doesn't seem to be extremely rare, but I have some questions about it. Was it TV Hawaii, only? What years was it available? Did it have it's own signature drink? Why was the design so crude. Any info would be appreciated.
Mahalo,
Rick

Good questions Rick. I had found one of these mugs last summer and was curious as well. I am no expert on the subject but as far as I know these mugs and many others from the Hawaii location were only used at that location. Most of the mugs were made by a local pottery so they can vary widely in appearance and do at times look crude. At some point in time there was a split from Trader Vic's on the mainland and the Honolulu location lived on with only the Trader Vic's name. Here is a great thread by DC with some info on the location.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=34911&forum=2&start=0

Here is an image posted by DC from the menu showing the mug and the cocktail description for it.

And here is the mug from my collection. You can see how they vary.

Those were made for the Waikiki Trader's Vic's by Polynesian Pottery, which later become Daga.

Buzzy Out!

Thanks, guys!

T

Thanks for the link. It is great to get some info compacted into one thread.

More importantly, WHAT is up with the Red Pants mug & description??

Is the straw supposed to be sticking out of the fly of a pair of pants?? That may give me some emotional trauma, no matter how psychedelic the rum is.

H

:lol:

Yikes! I didn't even notice that!

The Tiki News had an interview with Daga with a reference to a similar mug wearing jeans that was given away at a gay bar,that's probably where the mold came from.

Pages: 1 9 replies