Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

No-Burn or Flame Stop?

Pages: 1 5 replies

I just got a major shipment of Lauhala for my home tiki bar and I want to fire proof it for safeties sake. Any recommendations for a fire retardant that doesn't leave a film over the covering?

I've seen No-Burn and Flame Stop recommended, but is there anything else I should consider? Do I need to coat the front and the back or just the front since the back will be glued against sheet rock?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

-glk-

H

I use No-Burn. It sometimes does leave a little bit of a film (think dried salt), but nothing that's distracting under the delightfully low-light conditions of a tiki bar. I coat as thoroughly as I possibly can—I'd rather be over-protected than under-protected. It goes fast, plan on buying a bunch of the stuff.

@Humuhumu: Do you treat both sides of the wall covering or just the side facing the room? Does the No-Burn absorb into the matting?

H

I do both sides. It absorbs a bit, but that varies depending on how porous the surface is that you're coating. I didn't count on it to soak in enough to protect the other side, even on very loose weave, thin, grass matting. It's worth considering where your most likely sources of fire would be: I was particularly thorough in the sections that would be near electrical boxes (though there's other barriers in place). Basically: what will help you sleep better at night? When in doubt, fire retard it.

And buy a fire extinguisher.

Flame Stop Exterior is clear and won't wash off. When I have to use it I use that. And, it's done for ever. Aloha! BB

Pages: 1 5 replies