Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Looking for any info regarding the history of Marwal bust company

Pages: 1 8 replies

Does anyone know any info regarding the history of the Marwal statue company? All I can find online was that it was either a Miami or Fort Lauderdale based company. Their hibiscus hula girl bust is such a cool iconic Hawaiiana piece.

Marwal Industries. Incorporated 1962. Looks like they were in business from early 40’s through late sixties. Mfg’d a wide variety of chalk ware. I have a couple of their Hawaiian themed pieces. Good luck on your search and please post any thing that you learn about Marwal.

S

Below is a picture of one of these Marwel busts that i found last year and originally posted in the 'Tiki Finds' thread, asking if anyone knew the company. Since that question was answered i'm going to bump this thread and add to it, considering it is about the same thing (even though it is a find also).

Here is the bust i found last year.

Now today i found this one.

As you can see it is quite similar (i know there are a few different variations) but what i'd like to know is, did they actually come in white like the one pictured, or has someone painted it? I didn't actually buy it but might go back for it if it is original. There were no markings on it.

UT

I saw one of the white busts a couple of weeks ago at an antique mall. I did not buy it as it was unmarked as well. I have seen many knockoffs of lesser quality than the original marked pieces. Yes there are many variations of the original. I think that if the white ones are actually an original production run from the factory they would have been marked as the other original pieces.

S

Thanks for the info Uncle Trav. The fact that you've seen a white one also at least tells me/us that even if it is a knock off, that they did come in white and hasn't just been painted over. Seems to much of a coincidence that both of us have seen white ones without them being made that way.

T

Marwals, they are Marwals.
Causing a commotion
Coz they are so awesome

Pretty big and pretty white
They beat a polar bear in a fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhujEQhg764

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2015-06-03 18:46 ]

S

Ummmm.....not the same thing tikiskip, but that was pretty awesome.

T

Ooohh, Marwal not Narwal.

I get it now.

J

I always thought these were odd, even creepy. "You know, I like this race of human beings, I think I'll keep a representation of them in bust form on the shelf in my den". The boy versions are especially weird to me. Was Marwal the only maker?

Pages: 1 8 replies