Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Too much with so little time... What say you?

Pages: 1 9 replies

F

I'm staying with a friend in Fontana who has a wedding to attend to on Saturday, and we return to Texas bright and early Monday.
So far I've hit up the Tiki Ti, Tonga Hut, Oceanic Arts, and Trader Sams. Though it may seem naive to say, but from where I'm at seems everything is about an hour away... with that being said. What am I missing that's a must see for a first timer in the area. Many many great threads but almost overwhelming, need help honing it down. What should be next? Any junk shops that may have old mugs from places long gone? Heck even a good used book store to fine Criswell predicts books would be cool too.

Thanks in advance for your help!

It is a bit of a drive from you
But "Don the Beachcomber!"

6278 Pacific Coast Hwy, Huntington Beach, CA 92649
(562) 592-1321

The Tikiyaki Orchestra is putting on a special show Saturday night.

You're very close to Long Beach, so you could hit the vintage stores on
4th Street & Cherry Street during the day

Then head down coast highway to Don's
and stop at the Seal Beach Pier
for:

The "Picture show Gallery" in Seal Beach
231 Main St, Seal Beach, CA 90740
for mugs, Tiki art etc.

You could make a day of it.

On 2014-09-05 08:14, Freeland wrote:
What should be next? Any junk shops that may have old mugs from places long gone? Heck even a good used book store to fine Criswell predicts books would be cool too.

tiki no in north hollywood and the purple orchid in el segundo are worth checking out.

Yes, Don the Beachcomber for sure.

F

Thanks all!

Hit up Tiki No last night, and currently sipping on a fogcutter at Dons...

On 2014-09-06 22:35, Freeland wrote:
Thanks all!

Hit up Tiki No last night, and currently sipping on a fogcutter at Dons...

You made it to Don's, did you have a good time?
we just got back from the show.

F

You made it to Don's, did you have a good time?
we just got back from the show.

Atomic Tiki Punk,

Sure did... Always a good time at some place new, on top of adding two new mugs to the collection.

Well, needless to say I had a blast and could have stayed much longers... as it is the tiki gods already opened my wallet enough.

My voyages took me first to the Tiki Ti, and I must say though I will venture back that this place was my favorite. There isn't one bad thing I can even say. I picked up a great ashtray, and of course a fez. I was even graced with a drink menu to take home wich was a plus in my book.

Next stop was the Tonga Hut, it was a slow night, but made for great picture taking... Left there with a Rum Barreln and Bamboo Mug.

The following day I ventured over to Oceanic Arts... All I can say is WOW! I left there with some great carvings, light switch covers, Cobra Fang mug, a swizzle sticks, Tiki Mag, and finally a copy of Tiki Pop.

After we left OA, I wore my First Timers badge through Disneyland... Finally got to see what I have heard on vinyl in person in the Enchanted Tiki Room while eating a Dole Whip... enchanting indeed! Had to do that a few times...

After the park... I hit up Trader Sams. This place was packed. Great decor! Should have picked up a mug, my mind was slipping but the mug and Dole Whip bowl count for me.

Lets see what was next... Oh, the Tiki No, I liked it. No mug to speak of but was given a menu... Drinks were nice and strong!

Finally got around to heading over to Don's... Place was packed as there seemed to be an event taking place in the back. Looked fun, but stayed up front most of the time. Grabbed two mugs... bartender looked for some matches for me but were out.

Lastly went to the Purple Orchid... Nice and tucked away, enjoyed the rowdy local day drinkers. Walked away with anothere menu and mug...

Miss it all already!

Cheers, Wendy

F

On 2014-09-12 17:17, danlovestikis wrote:
Cheers, Wendy

Any of yours?

Pages: 1 9 replies