Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Need Help With Corner Trim

Pages: 1 4 replies

Hi guys, I'm 90% done gluing and stapling lauhala sheets up on my walls and my corners look really shitty, mostly due to the fact that the sheets are far from symmetrical. What options do I have for cleaning up the corners? I was thinking of using one sheet of lauhala and just cutting long symmetrical strips to cover the overlaps and give the corners a rounded look, but then I would have to more seems on either side to cover. This is such a pain in the butt. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The easiest thing to do is use wood or bamboo in the corner for trim. This would cover up you end pieces.

I have been thinking about bamboo, but that's a sizeable gap to cover. Most of he bamboo rods I've seen for sale online are 1.75" max. Do they sell bigger diameter bamboo anywhere?

Yes there are larger sizes.

From your picture it looks like you're in the basement so I'm guessing the ceiling is 7 ft or less to the floor. You can purchase 8 ft lengths (split or not split) and have them shipped. 8 feet is the longest UPS and FedEx will ship.

Here is one place you can try or you can also try Oceanic Arts. I have used both companies.

http://www.bambooandthatchetc.com/index.php?cPath=615_617

If you use Oceanic Arts they will charge you to cut down to size a 12 ft or 10 ft to an 8 ft length. You will pay for the entire pole but you can tell them where to cut it.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

[ Edited by: MaukaHale 2014-09-10 15:36 ]

Check your local garden specialty centre. That's where I found my large diameter bamboo.

Pages: 1 4 replies