Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Keiki Tiki's first drink...

Pages: 1 10 replies

T
troki posted on Fri, Sep 26, 2014 9:59 AM

So...I'm generally a wine & beer guy; open a bottle, & serve. I love the drinks you love too, but black Russians are the extent of my mixing prowess (in other words, I can cook a mean hot-dog). That said, you guys have inspired me, & I went shopping. Aside from various garnishments, this is all I've got to work with. Any of you fine bums have a suggestion for how to make any or all of these work in harmony? Purchases made based on frequently encountered mentions on this forum, so thanks for that, & thanks for this!

Blue Hawaiian

1 oz light rum
1 cherry
2 oz pineapple juice
1 oz Blue Curacao
1 oz cream of coconut
1 slice pineapple

Blend light rum, blue curacao, pineapple juice, and cream of coconut
with one cup ice in an electric blender at high speed.
Pour contents into a highball glass.
Decorate with the slice of pineapple and a cherry.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-09-26 11:05 ]

T

On 2014-09-26 11:03, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Blue Hawaiian

1 oz light rum
1 cherry
2 oz pineapple juice
1 oz Blue Curacao
1 oz cream of coconut
1 slice pineapple

Blend light rum, blue curacao, pineapple juice, and cream of coconut
with one cup ice in an electric blender at high speed.
Pour contents into a highball glass.
Decorate with the slice of pineapple and a cherry.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-09-26 11:05 ]

Oh, that sounds downright delightful Atomic Tiki...thank you! That's going to be round one this evening; I'll follow up with the, er, "fallout" (get it? ATOMIC Tiki??? I'm New here, so sorry if you've already caught that 100x)...thank you kindly!

And no Rose's! Fresh-squeezed lime juice only!

A

It's always interesting to think what you would make with a few bottles :) With those bottles I would make:

Daiquiri (with the Plantation 3 star)
Mojito (with the Plantation 3 star)
Planters Punch (with the Myers)

The El Dorado 12, I'd enjoy neat :)

Myers is a rum I use a lot but it can dominate drinks - if that didn't put you off you could use it in:

Trader Vic Punch (with the orgeat, Planation 3 star & the Myers)
Pago Pago Punch (with the Myers)
Navy Grog (with Plantation 3 stars, El Dorado 12 & Myers)

The tough thing about tiki drinks is that no matter what you've got, another few ingredients is always a good idea!

Besides some different rums, if you were to add more ingredients:

Coconaut (with the Myers ~ add coconut cream)
Pina Colado (with the Plantation 3 star ~ add coconut cream)
Hurricane (with the Myers ~ add passionfruit syrup)
Mai tai (with the orgeat & your choice of rums ~ add orange curaçao. A dark jamaican rum is traditional but Myers is a bit strongly flavoured, you could compare it with an El Dorado 12 mai tai)

That's all I've got in mind at the moment - those bottles are a good start tho!

Cheers :)

T
troki posted on Fri, Sep 26, 2014 2:13 PM

On 2014-09-26 13:52, TikiHardBop wrote:

Woah, woah,woah...baby steps there,Tikihardbop...

...I already had to buy a shaker & proper drinkware; I can't wrap my head around the apparatus (or place to store it) required for juicing!

T
troki posted on Fri, Sep 26, 2014 2:22 PM

On 2014-09-26 13:59, AdOrAdam wrote:
It's always interesting to think what you would make with a few bottles :) With those bottles I would make:

Daiquiri (with the Plantation 3 star)
Mojito (with the Plantation 3 star)
Planters Punch (with the Myers)

The El Dorado 12, I'd enjoy neat :)

Myers is a rum I use a lot but it can dominate drinks - if that didn't put you off you could use it in:

Trader Vic Punch (with the orgeat, Planation 3 star & the Myers)
Pago Pago Punch (with the Myers)
Navy Grog (with Plantation 3 stars, El Dorado 12 & Myers)

The tough thing about tiki drinks is that no matter what you've got, another few ingredients is always a good idea!

Besides some different rums, if you were to add more ingredients:

Coconaut (with the Myers ~ add coconut cream)
Pina Colado (with the Plantation 3 star ~ add coconut cream)
Hurricane (with the Myers ~ add passionfruit syrup)
Mai tai (with the orgeat & your choice of rums ~ add orange curaçao. A dark jamaican rum is traditional but Myers is a bit strongly flavoured, you could compare it with an El Dorado 12 mai tai)

That's all I've got in mind at the moment - those bottles are a good start tho!

Cheers :)

Jesus, you guys are pros...what's that, 9 drinks & some rounded advice in a single post? Many thanks...

...I did try them all "neat"; the Myers is definitely the most "robust", I guess you'd call it, but that plantation has a bit of a feel to it, too. The El Eldorado I could see pairing with a bowl of Frog Morton at sunset.

I appreciate all of your input guys. As mentioned, I've always been into the wine, & more recently the myriad craft beers out there. This scene is all wonderfully new to me...

T
troki posted on Fri, Sep 26, 2014 2:30 PM

Oh, by the way guys...those cherries are fuckin' delicious! I'm sure you all already. Know, but eesh; I can see most of that jar not making it to the glass!

H

On 2014-09-26 14:13, troki wrote:

On 2014-09-26 13:52, TikiHardBop wrote:

Woah, woah,woah...baby steps there,Tikihardbop...

...I already had to buy a shaker & proper drinkware; I can't wrap my head around the apparatus (or place to store it) required for juicing!

You don't need an apparatus to juice a lime, just cut it in half with a knife and hand squeeze it. Fresh squeezed lime juice is such a key thing! If you have a recipe calling for lime juice never ever use the rose's stuff, it is not a substitute, not even close! A great starter book you should pick up is Beachbum Berry's Remixed. In addition to some great recipes you'll find the history behind many of them. It's a great resource and a fun read.

A

Glad you enjoyed the post Troki :)

I also have a bottle of Roses that I have used maybe... twice! It not a substitute for fresh juice.

I forget people don't have citrus squeezing equipment as standard - I didn't for a long while. Yes you can squeeze by hand but your squeezing will be significantly improved by a mexican lime squeezer:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_0_8?k=lime+squeezer&sprefix=Lime+squ

I started off with a smaller lime one & cut all fruit to size. Then I got a larger one that I use for orange & (with some cutting) grapefruits. If they did a bigger one that I could fit half a grapefruit in without cutting id buy that one too!

It's a small thing but juicing is a pain made easier by a mexican elbow squeezer - If you are too tight to buy 2 definitely get a bigger one, you can always squeeze smaller fruit in it :)

H

I love those Luxardo cherries also, I eat them as they are all the time. I wish they were not so expensive.

Pages: 1 10 replies