[ Edited by: chip and andy 2014-11-04 05:22 ]

On 2014-09-30 12:20, Chip and Andy wrote:

Ohana, Luau by the Sea!

Save the Date!

October 1 - 3, 2015!

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2014-09-30 12:24 ]

awesome!

[ Edited by: exquisitecorpse 2014-09-30 16:29 ]

I have that marked on my calendar in permanent ink. See you at the Lake and then see you by the Sea in 2015!

-Rev

Do we know exactly where in Florida? I heard Ft. Lauderdale but I'm not certain. When are hotel details going to be released?

Color my impatient!

P

On 2014-10-13 18:37, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
Do we know exactly where in Florida? I heard Ft. Lauderdale but I'm not certain. When are hotel details going to be released?

Color my impatient!

Just a guess, but based on the fact that the above graphics highlights the Mai Kai...yep...I'd say Ft. Lauderdale.

Simply cannot wait!!!!

Color my impatient!

Exactly where in Florida? Yes. South Florida. Fort Lauderdale. Near the airport. Near the Mai Kai. Near the Beach.

Hotel details? Soon. We have the contract signed with the hotel but we don't have the magic internet-linky-thing yet for you to make the reservations.

Color you impatient? OK. But I should warn you I don't color inside the lines.

Thanks for the info!

Color my impatient!

Hotel information for you....

Follow the link below and book your room, we got a special deal from the hotel, $125 a night plus taxes.

https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/StarGroupsWeb/res?id=1410036929&key=2C680889

The hotel is a Starwood property so those of you that are frequent travelers you can get some points or green stamps or whatever you guys get being frequent travelers. No I'm not jealous of you jet-setter types. Much.

The website is still being assembled, apparently the box we picked up didn't have that little twisty-tool-thing so we had to send the intern back to Ikea to pick one up.

And if you do the Facebook thing look up the event by name because I am behind a corporate firewall and can't post a link for you. (note to self, edit this later to include the facebook link)

Hotel booked, flight booked!

Me & the hubs will be there. :) Hope to see/meet some TC peeps!

Wanna vend at Ohana, Luau by the Sea? Of course you do!

http://fraternalorderofmoai.org/ohanabtsea/become-a-vendor/

Reasonable rates, air conditioned vending room, lunch and cocktail specials for the vendors, did we mention reasonable rates yet?

C

For anyone who might have missed it, Ohana Luau by the Sea tickets are NOW ON SALE!!

Join us as we bring the Spirit of Ohana to Florida from Lake George, NY - and, instead of the Tiki Resort, Luau by the Sea gets the FABULOUS MAI KAI!!!

More about everything going on at Luau by the Sea & to buy tickets go to:

http://fraternalorderofmoai.org/ohanabtsea/

See ya at The Sea!!

Ticket sales are on!

Swing by http://www.luaubythesea.com and follow the links to Tickets.

Three days of fun! Only $85! Operators are standing by!

good stuff ^^^

Tickets for 2 purchased today!

Maybe we can arrange a TCer meet up? I went to Ohana on the Lake a few years ago and I was a newbie and kind of shy and didn't meet up with anyone from Tiki Central. I don't want to make that mistake again! It's just meet and the hubby so we need to meet some friends. We've met a few people from TC in real life and they can attest I'm relatively normal, lol.

References furnished upon request. :wink:

i'll look for your nametag!

Johnny,

Didn't we meet in Wildwood? :wink:

My wife and I will definitely be there. Hope to meet as many of you as we can.

The call of the Mai Kai!

[ Edited by: Tiki Diablo 2015-07-13 08:29 ]

Back in the day men didn't get in the Mai Kai without a jacket. The dress code today is considerably more relaxed. That more casual dress code doesn't mean you can't pull out your best aloha wear and really do up the evening! And you know what would really take your outfit over the top?

An Orchid Lei!

Andy found this great place in Hawaii that has beautiful leis and they have great reviews. And they have great prices.

So..... order yourself a Lei. Order one for your date or partner or spouse. We have two styles to choose from!

Click Here to order your lei today

Classic Orchid lei, purple and white orchids - $20 and will be available for pickup on Friday.

He'e Lei, red He'e berries and orange flowers in a classic double twist - $30 and will be available for pick up on Friday.

Did I mention we are ordering these from Hawaii? And that if you want one you shouldn't wait too long to place your order?

On 2015-07-09 16:07, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
Johnny,

Didn't we meet in Wildwood? :wink:

oh, yeah! (blush) ;D

What is more Caribbean than pirates? Conch. Conch fritters, conch bisque, and conch shells. And Poptiki of Colorado took the humble conch and turned it into a most awesome event mug suitable for the first ever Ohana: Luau by the Sea.

This little bit of ceramic magnificence holds a bit more than 12 ounces of beverage, you could probably get 16 ounces in there if you have a really steady hand.

Each hand glazed mug will include a special recipe (it's the same recipe for all of them, you don't have to collect the whole set or anything).

Quantities are limited so act now! Click here to order your bundle. The bundle is one event ticket ($85) and one mug($50).

Mugs will be available for pickup at the event check-in table.

There will also be a special one-off mug available in the Silent Auction. More on that later.

(Psstt... if you already bought your tickets and just need to purchase a mug, send me an email and I'll get you hooked up.)

And, of course, Tickets. And what they include....

For only $85 per person you get all of this great stuff:

The Kick-Off Party at the Kreepy-Tiki Lounge featuring classic and tiki cocktails, live music and more!
Friday pool-side entertainment including a carving demonstration by local artist De Tiki, Ukulele Lessons by Tony Baloney, and a presentation on Nautical Tiki from our very own tiki historian Mike Skinner.
A special evening at the World Famous Mai Kai Polynesian Restaurant and Lounge. Live music for Happy Hour, the world's longest running Polynesian review by the world-famous Mai Kai Polynesian Islanders Review, and then even more fun after dinner in the gardens.

Saturday Pool-side entertainment, The Ohana Marketplace including the Ohana Silent Auction and Gift shop for your shopping pleasure, and much more that we will share later.
Then Saturday night.... the Ohana Luau! Dinner and dancing with live entertainment including Stolen Idols, Skinny Jimmy Stingray, South Florida Bombshell Medusirena the Fire Eating Mermaid, and 9th Wave! And we mean dinner. And dancing. It's not just a cool sounding phrase that hearkens back to the past, we mean you get dinner to eat and you can dance if you want to, but we won't leave your friends behind (free ear-worms every Friday!)

Wanna learn to play the Ukulele?

Tony Baloney is going to teach Ukulele 101 poolside at Ohana on Friday afternoon. Bring your uke along and he'll get you playing in no time. If you don't have a uke, he'll have some spares. If you want to buy a uke he can tell you what and where and how much.

Keep an eye out and an ear open because Tony is also going to work up a Uke-Jam on Saturday at something-thirty in the afternoon. Songs for the beginners and songs for the professionals both.

It's going to be fun!

If you haven't already, check out our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/OhanaSea

Just a reminder.... there are NO same-day ticket sales. Tickets must be purchased in advance. There is one ticket for the entire weekend of fun. Ticket sales are going to close on September 21 because we have to give the catering team a final headcount.

You have five more weeks to buy your tickets, but remember you only have five more weeks to buy a ticket.

http://fraternalorderofmoai.org/shop/index.php?id_category=4&controller=category

Here is another addition to the Ohana Schedule: The Rum Room!

On Friday starting at 12:00 Noon the "Rum Room" will open it's doors. We are still trying to come up with a better name for it so if you have any suggestions? I'll buy a drink for the person who suggests the best name.

Anyway...

The Rum Room! Our generous Sponsors will host a showcase of their products where you can talk face to face with the brands and enjoy samples and tastings of their many fine products.

In the same room and also Rum!

Think you already know a thing or two about Rum? The team from the Miami Rum Festival will be hosting their World-Famous Rum Challenge. The Rum Challenge sounds easy enough... a short presentation on how to taste rums, some information about how the different soils and climates of the different rum producing countries affects the rums, and then you are presented with a selection of rums and you have to 'pin the rum on the Island.' Winners get bragging rights and everyone gets to learn something and taste some rum so not really any losers.

The Rum Room and the Miami Rum Fest Challenge are both included as part of your event ticket.

Click here to learn more about Miami Rum Fest:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Miami-Rum-Festival/124765660891042?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

And click here to purchase your tickets to the first ever Ohana: Luau by the Sea!
http://fraternalorderofmoai.org/shop/index.php

I have to include the small print stuff.... Rum room has rum in it (duh) so you have to be 21 years old. We will be checking ID's in order to keep all the official peoples happy.

I see you sell sponsorships for this event.
May want to look up the rules for a 501c I think this may be a violation of the 501c
tax free status and be seen as a unrelated trade or business they call it.

Make sure so it does not come back to bit you.

Exciting News!...Ohana Luau By The Lake has
been such an overwhelming success – for attendees, the host
organization, and our wonderful sponsors – that in 2015 we’ve added
a second event! Ohana Luau By The Seawill be held in
Ft. Lauderdale, FL on October 1-3, 2015. Ohana Luau By The Sea will be
everything we love about The Luau At The Lake PLUS the magic of the
one and only Mai Kai Polynesian Restaurant and Bar.
We are pleased to offer new sponsorship opportunities.
Choose one event OR combine the two and take advantage of
discounted rates to double your reach – and double the
sponsorship benefits listed below.
Menehune
(1 event-$1000, Combined $1600)
The Big Kahuna
(1 event-$1500, Combined $2400)
Ohana Donors ...
Ohana: Luau At The Lake and Ohana: Luau By The Sea are offering donor recognition on our websites and
on event materials for donated funds and/or goods in values under $250
Barter... yes, we’re open to creating a custom sponsorship package in exchange for suitable valued goods and/or services.
Let us know what you’ve got to work with, as we’d love to put together a sponsorship package just for you!
Special.… product-specific opportunities are available for featuring your brand, including the event drink menu,
in-bar signage/promotions, Room Crawl, Cocktail Contest, etc. Let’s get creative!
http://www.LuauAtTheLake.comhttp://www.LuauByTheSea.com
• Full page color ad in OHANA souvenir
magazine • Opportunity to present a custom
workshop, demonstration, or contest • Placement of sponsor-provided banner
at event • Brand recognition from the stage
throughout the weekend • Vendor or sampling booth, if desired • Logo included in widely distributed
print ads, postcards & promotional
material • Logo on event home page, with link to
Sponsor website • Logo with link to your website on the
Fraternal Order of Moai “Friends” page
for 12 months • Sponsor-provided items to be included
in our legendary event gift bag for all
attendees • Two (2) complimentary weekend
event passes
Outrigger
(1 event-$750, Combined $1200)
• Half page ad in OHANA souvenir
magazine • Placement of sponsor-provided
banner at event • Brand recognition from the stage
throughout the weekend • Vendor or sampling booth, if desired • Logo included in widely distributed
material • Logo on event home page, with link
to Sponsor website • Logo with link to your website on
the Fraternal Order of Moai “Friends”
page for 12 months • Sponsor-provided items to be included
attendees
Honu
(1 event-$500, Combined $800)
• 1/3 page ad in OHANA souvenir
magazine • Placement of sponsor-provided
banner at event • Vendor or sampling booth, if desired • Logo included in widely distributed
material • Logo on event home page, with link to
Sponsor website • Logo with link to your website on the
Fraternal Order of Moai “Friends” page
for 12 months • Sponsor-provided items to be included
attendees
Coconut Monkey
(1 event-$250, Combined $400)
• 1/6 page ad in OHANA
souvenir magazine • Vendor or sampling booth, if
desired • Logo on event home page,
with link to Sponsor website • Logo with link to your website
on the Fraternal Order of Moai
“Friends” page for 12 months • Sponsor-provided items to be
included in our legendary
event gift bag for all
attendees

Here is the legal mubo jumbo I found.
Your FOM lawyers will be able to tell if this applies to you or not.

Sales of advertising space. A national association of law enforcement officials publishes a monthly journal that contains articles and other editorial material of professional interest to its members. The journal is distributed without charge, mainly to the organization's members.
The organization sells advertising space in the journal either for conventional advertising or to merely identify the purchaser without a commercial message. Some of the noncommercial advertising identifies the purchaser in a separate space, and some consists of listings of 60 or more purchasers per page. A business firm identified in a separate space is further identified in an Index of Advertisers.
The organization solicits advertising by personal contacts. Advertising from large firms is solicited by contacting their chief executive officer or community relations officer rather than their advertising manager. The organization also solicits advertising in form letters appealing for corporate and personal contributions.
An exempt organization's sale of advertising placed for the purchaser's commercial benefit is a commercial activity. Goodwill derived by the purchaser from being identified as a patron of the organization is usually considered a form of commercial benefit. Therefore, advertising in an exempt organization's publication is generally presumed to be placed for the purchaser's commercial benefit, even if it has no commercial message. However, this presumption is not conclusive if the purchaser's patronage would be difficult to justify commercially in view of the facts and circumstances. In that case, other factors should also be considered in determining whether a commercial benefit can be expected. Those other factors include:
The normal manner in which the publication is circulated;

The territorial scope of the circulation;

The extent to which its readers, promoters, or the like could reasonably be expected to further, either directly or indirectly, the commercial interest of the advertisers;

The eligibility of the publishing organization to receive tax-deductible contributions; and

The commercial or noncommercial methods used to solicit the advertisers.

In this situation, the purchaser of a separate advertising space without a commercial message can nevertheless expect a commercial benefit from the goodwill derived from being identified in that manner as a patron of the organization. However, the purchaser of a listing cannot expect more than an inconsequential benefit. Therefore, the sale of separate spaces, but not the listings, is an unrelated trade or business.

More info

This beautiful keepsake magazine is artistically designed in a traditionally vintage format of the 1950’s. The magazine’s design as a “souvenir publication” assures that your ad or message will be seen over and over again for many years to come!
Advertise your business, personal art, website, group or affiliation in Ohana Magazine. Our graphic artist is standing by to help you create your advertisement, in this fun and vintage format.

Choose the ad size that is right for your business. Space is limited so be sure to act fast.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2015-08-24 14:28 ]

Tikiskip, thank you for your concern. The tax code in the United States is quite complex so we spend a lot of time reading about it as we plan charitable events. IRS Publication 598, which you are quoting from, is certainly an exciting document that we have read more than once when working with potential donors. Our lawyers have advised us that sponsorships are permissible.

[ Edited by: CowtownKahuna 2015-08-25 04:51 ]

T

Oh dam don't read that!
That thing makes it sound like you can't throw these types of events as a 501 c at all.
Depending who interprets it, just got to hope the guy who looks at it see it your way.
That and make sure your name is not one of the eight on the 990 EZ.:)

Duly noted, but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

This ain't our first rodeo.

Luau by the Sea Marketplace!

Tiki mugs, Hawaiiana, handmade tiki pendants and ceramics, vintage Florida, Hawaiian dresses, accessories and Aloha shirts are just a few of the amazing items available in the Marketplace at Ohana, Luau by the Sea. Stop by, shop and take home some great stuff. It's open to the public and no charge!

October 3rd from noon to 5pm.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1624882527795040/

I plan to have an extra suitcase with me..... because my wife likes to shop.

-Rev

T

On 2015-08-25 11:55, rev_thumper wrote:

-Rev

Your wife... right.

On 2015-08-25 12:32, tedtiki wrote:

On 2015-08-25 11:55, rev_thumper wrote:

-Rev

Your wife... right.

He meant his wife also likes to shop.

T

What is the total number of event mugs being made for sale for this event?
Will you also have cool event shirts for sale like that other Mai Kai event.

Did not want to use the "H" word on your page.

On 2015-08-25 14:08, tikiskip wrote:
What is the total number of event mugs being made for sale for this event?
Will you also have cool event shirts for sale like that other Mai Kai event.

Yes, we have an event mug. There are even a few left. Because quantities are limited we are selling to ticket holders first.

Yes, we have t-shirts. And orchid leis too. Click it and check it: http://fraternalorderofmoai.org/shop/index.php?id_category=15&controller=category

edited to add the mug image.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2015-08-25 14:40 ]

T

So what is the number of Limited Edition Event Mugs?

T

Well it is a nice mug / bowl, perfect for a Mystery drink.
Looks like the last run of mugs was 100 I think.

The pain about being a 501c is everything you do is public information.

Will try to find one on eBay after the event as there always seams to be a few of them there over time.

Johnny Dollar has an event mug up now on eBay.
Squid Tiki Mug OHANA 2010 22 of 100 Luau At The Lake IKE I'Ke
AND it's number 22 a sacred FOM number.

Thanks everyone for keeping this thread near the top of the active list - I would hate to miss this event!

Tickets bought and another mug sold - see you in Florida!

Fantastic, it will be good to see you and Birdgirl again (ha, autocorrect tried to make that Bargirl).

Now I just need a costume idea for the kick-off party.

=Rev

B

On 2015-08-27 06:01, rev_thumper wrote:
Fantastic, it will be good to see you and Birdgirl again (ha, autocorrect tried to make that Bargirl).

Now I just need a costume idea for the kick-off party.

=Rev

Hello? Costume idea...you already have it! Batgirl Rev!!! With her recent passing, I think its a nice homage.

C

Cannot wait for the Kick-off Party at the Awesome Kreepy Tiki!!

For those who haven't been.....or haven't been in a while, there have been quite a few GREAT changes at The Kreepy Tiki :)

Tickets, mug, and hotel booked. Looking forward to this event. No idea about the kickoff party costume.

[ Edited by: Rum Journey 2015-08-31 09:25 ]

B

Shameless BUMP!!!!

Looking forward to all the fun and shenanigans. I have my mug and tickets will be purchased tomorrow!

Coming down to the wire folks.... Only four more days to get your tickets!

You have until Monday, September 21, to purchase your tickets for the first ever Ohana, Luau by the Sea!

Because we have to make arrangements with catering in advance we have to close ticket sales on Monday evening at 8pm Mai-Kai time. And for the same reason we can't offer same-day ticket sales.

http://fraternalorderofmoai.org/shop/index.php?id_category=4&controller=category

Also....

Don't forget to make your Mai-Kai dinner reservations for Friday, October 2nd. Call the Mai Kai at 954-563-3272 and tell them you want a table for Ohana. Tell them how many in your group and if you have anything special going on like birthdays or anniversaries.

And....

Be sure to download your app for Ohana: Luau by the Sea!

The app includes the schedule, information about our Sponsors and our Vendors, and has this nifty little News page for event alerts!

Visit this URL with your mobile device.

http://my.yapp.us/YPWLEJ

Don't forget. Four more days of tickets. And only two more weeks until the fun starts!

T

Just down loaded the app. Pretty cool!

C

JUST 1 WEEK TODAY UNTIL OHANA!!!!

Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy - So much tasty RUM to pack into just a few days.......it's all about the pacing :drink:

Pages: 1 2 62 replies