Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

jungle cruise ride sign

Pages: 1 18 replies

G

Been wanting a replica of this sign for years and could never find one like it. so i decided to try my hand.

That's pretty damn close to the original. Good Job man!!

How Fun - Love it

J

That's awesome! Is it all wood?

Well done!

Very nice!

Nicely done!

G

Carved extruded foam. Hardcoated and painted

good job!

Wow, that's great. Wendy

LOVE this!

Gabe, what do you use for hardcoat?

For this i used exterior latex primer wit a very little bit of powdered plaster mixed in. Im going to try to build the animatronic tiki poles frome the tiki room, but this time i want to try to use a liquid resin hard coat. Im just still researching it. there is also a concept drawing of Trader Sams Grog Grotto at WDW, showing a tentacle come throug a port hole holding a bottle of rum, that my boys really want me to try. just trying to figure out how to do the suction cups. really dont want to try to carve each of them individualy. the latex and plaster gave a really good surface with out to much build up. I got hte idea from several haloween websites, they call it monster mud, made out of premixed drywall mud and latex paint. i used powdered plaster, to keep the bulk down. i wanted a semi hard coat without the build up. my mix ratio was like 8 to 1 or 10 to 1, paint to plaster.

The spears were not hard coated, just exterior latex primer. it just didnt fill in the imperfections and tool marks in the foam.

Thank you all for the compliments, its nice to find people who dont think im a weirdo for doing this kind of stuff.

Thats awsome, do you have a step by step or tutorial on how you did it??

PP

OMG thats incredible!!! I need one of those myself!!!!!!

no step by step, sorry. it was just kind of one of thoes "remove anything that dosent look like the sign" things. just started with the shield. cut the basic shape with the band saw and coping saw. then used sureform tool to shape it. the mask was a fight with myself over mking it perfect. id get it about right, but not quite, and start all over again.in the end i had to let my boys tell me when it was looking good. i would always find flaws so id call out the teenagers and let them look it over and compare it to the source photos. they told me when it was done. going to start on anamatronic tiki room poles soon. ill try to document thoes alot better. both my boys are working toward engineering degrees in hopes of working in the theme park industry (DISNEY IMAGINEERS), on at UCSD and one at a magnet high school with a killer engineering program. they are working out the anamatronics. the current project is a tentacle coming through a port hole that we saw on some concept art for trader sams.

Congrats it looks authentic!

Pages: 1 18 replies