Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

which of these rums are better for mixing

Pages: 1 18 replies

J
Jay4 posted on Sun, Oct 12, 2014 10:31 AM

A dark Demerara rum is a home Tiki bar essential and ED5 is an excellent mixing rum. The ED white is not essential, there are lots of serviceable white rums for mixing.

Not essential but quite excellent is the ED 3 year white rum. Not available everywhere and more expensive than their stamdard light rum, it is a great Tiki mixing rum.

[ Edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2014-10-12 11:10 ]

[ Edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2014-10-12 13:09 ]

On 2014-10-12 10:31, Jay4 wrote:
http://theeldoradorum.com/superior-standard/superiorwhiterum

http://theeldoradorum.com/fine-cask-aged/5-year-old

cant decide what i wanna get and i dont want to spend over 25 bucks

Their white is a little harsh for my taste, the 5 year is decent for anything that calls for demerara rum.

I haven't had the white El Dorado rums in my home bar so I'll pass commenting on the quality of them. Sunny&Rummy is right - go for the dark demerara for tiki drinks calling for a demerara rum.

I don't rate the El Dorado 5 year nearly as much as the 8 year - if you can, go for the 8 year!

J
Jay4 posted on Sun, Oct 12, 2014 4:58 PM

On 2014-10-12 12:58, AdOrAdam wrote:
I haven't had the white El Dorado rums in my home bar so I'll pass commenting on the quality of them. Sunny&Rummy is right - go for the dark demerara for tiki drinks calling for a demerara rum.

I don't rate the El Dorado 5 year nearly as much as the 8 year - if you can, go for the 8 year!

how much is the 8 year

the 8 yr is usually 20-22 bucks. i like the 5 for mixing.

the basic white and the basic dark aint very good. the 3-year old white is awesome.

D

If you're looking to stay within the El Dorado line, I'd step up to the 3 (white) and the 8 (gold), if possible. The price increases are negligible in a per-drink basis.

I think, generally speaking however, there are superior choices for white rums, depending on what you're planning to make.

J
Jay4 posted on Sun, Oct 12, 2014 7:33 PM

On 2014-10-12 19:19, djmont wrote:
If you're looking to stay within the El Dorado line, I'd step up to the 3 (white) and the 8 (gold), if possible. The price increases are negligible in a per-drink basis.

I think, generally speaking however, there are superior choices for white rums, depending on what you're planning to make.

im not a real big cocktail drinker i usually just stick with stuff like rum and cokes

[sound of a hundred measuring spoons hitting the floor]

On 2014-10-13 02:44, happy buddha wrote:
[sound of a hundred measuring spoons hitting the floor]

heh!

Jay, i wouldnt grab the El Dorado for a rum and coke-- i'd go with a spanish style white or gold rum.

You can grab anything you want for a rum and coke, you won't be able to taste it!

A

On 2014-10-13 07:25, thePorpoise wrote:
Jay, i wouldnt grab the El Dorado for a rum and coke-- i'd go with a spanish style white or gold rum.

In opposition - I would grab El Dorado for a rum & coke!

In my house we have it either way, more coke with some lime with white (Spanish) rum or less coke with a gold or dark rum. Appleton VX makes a good rum & coke btw.

Each to their own!

Many of you speak of unholy things!

J
Jay4 posted on Tue, Oct 14, 2014 12:55 PM

On 2014-10-14 01:00, AdOrAdam wrote:

In opposition - I would grab El Dorado for a rum & coke!

In my house we have it either way, more coke with some lime with white (Spanish) rum or less coke with a gold or dark rum. Appleton VX makes a good rum & coke btw.

Each to their own!

ive tried making rum and cokes with gold rum.and i dont know,ive always just perfered white and spiced rum.i might end up getting don q's gold rum though because i dont know,maybe it was the brand i bought and not really gold rums in general

O

Sometimes when a daiquiri is too difficult to obtain...

Use Cruzan Aged White or Aged Two Year for the Rum of the Rum and Coke.

However, you must add 1/4oz of fresh lime juice ~ Cuba Libre

J
Jay4 posted on Tue, Oct 14, 2014 2:46 PM

On 2014-10-14 01:00, AdOrAdam wrote:

Appleton VX makes a good rum & coke btw.

i think it was either that or appleton gold that i had that i didnt like.but i dont know,it just seems like you get a more noticable rum flavor when ive mixed white and dark rums but maybe its just the rum i had

Well, if we are going to speak of the abomination that is the R & C, a spiced rum usually goes well because most spiced rums have a strong vanilla signature and so does Coke, so, voila, so you don't have to taste too much of that foul rum. Silver rum usually works well too because the flavor profile gets completely stepped on by the Coke and once again, you can't taste the demon rum.

If you actually want to taste rum, you should work with a dark rum. But if you really want to taste the rum, you should look into buying one of Jeff Berry's books and start with some of the simpler cocktails.

Jay4, are you trolling us or did you just turn 21? All of your posts sound like you just want something cheap that tastes good. Have you tried Pacifico? It tastes good and is cheap and you don't have to mix it with anything. Add a lime to it and it brings even more flavor forward. Even the ladies will drink it.

We have no problem helping out people in need of suggestions, but like ATP said, most of us are rum snobs and we take it very seriously. I don't often mix rums with Coke and 2 ingredients does not constitute a mixed drink. If I make rum and Coke, I use Havana Club 7 year Mexican Coke and splash a lime and use a lime wheel as a garnish. This is called a Cuba Libre and is an actual drink. Obviously in the US, Cuban anything is very tough to come by though. Light rums don't work because they lack flavor, dark rums like Myers don't work because they are too sweet. Zaya or Mount Gay are decent rums to mix with Coke; mixing light and dark in with Coke may taste alright but then you are looking that cheap factor since you need 2 bottles of rum and a Coke. There are easier ways to accomplish your goal. I don't ever mix whiskey and Cokes, and I bet no one else here does.

If you are truly interested in learning about making mixed drinks, DO get some recipe books and start from there. Beachbum's books are the best out there for tiki drinks, but any will do for you to get the feel of making drinks from scratch. There are also many smartphone apps with many recipes. Just search "cocktail recipes" at your app store. Mixology is decent and free and has many recipes. Tiki Total is Beachbum's app for $10 and it is well worth the money. Or go on ebay and type in "rum drink recipes" and you will find many books out there to help you get started for cheap. They might be the cost of one or two drinks, but the value of a good cocktail will stay with you forever.

[ Edited by: Lunavideogames 2014-10-14 20:13 ]

What Luna said!

Pages: 1 18 replies