Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: Meditative Moai AP edition by VanTiki

Pages: 1 3 replies

V

I'm kicking off the auctions for the AP edition of the Meditative Moai this sunday!

I usually use the AP edition to dial in the glaze technique that will be used on the larger main edition - but in this case I already knew what I wanted to do with the main edition glazes, and that gave me a lot of freedom to try new things with the 6 AP Moai wall hangers. Knowing that there were only 6 pieces, I was able to invest a lot more time into them - carefully masking the gold sections for the “Saint Moai” set, and painstakingly carving wood grain into the “Witco Moai” set. The turquoise Moai uses the same multi-step glaze found on the Stone Flask. Astute readers will note that I mention 6 AP wall hangers, yet there are only 5 offered for sale. I did a turquoise woodgrain Moai, but it sadly cracked in the kiln (I actually cracked it while I was carving the woodgrain into the bone-dry clay, and it only became visible after the firing). The broken one will get hung up in my Garden Of Failed Ceramics.

The AP Meditative Moai are 9.25” tall (23.5cm), 4.5” wide (11.5cm), and are limited to an edition of 6 Artist’s Proof castings. It is slip-cast ceramic with a hollow back, making it lightweight and easy to hang from a small nail. Signed, dated, and marked with its edition number by the artist. Like all VanTiki artwork, the Meditative Moai were entirely crafted by VanTiki (aka Henrik Van Ryzin) in his Hawaii based studio. The Molds have been destroyed, so no further castings of this design will be produced!

The Artist's Proofs - from left to right: Saint Moai (x2), Blue Seas (x1), Witco Wood (x2)

Saint Moai Detail:

Witco Wood detail:

Blue Seas Detail:

I'll post links when the auctions go live. Mahalo for looking!
Henrik "VanTiki"

V
V

Mid-Week Bumpity-bump!

V

Final reminder - auctions end tomorrow! Mahalo!

Pages: 1 3 replies