Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Gift Rum

Pages: 1 2 replies

Was just informed of my in-laws plan to get me rum for Christmas so I need to send them some suggestions. So.... how to choose a bottle, or possibly even two if they're not that expensive? It will be shipped to me so I imagine the online purchasing options are pretty vast. I don't typically drink rum neat although I'm not opposed to it if they get me something I could really enjoy. I guess I just want to get something interesting that I can't find locally or just don't want to shell the money out for. Here are some ideas I have. If anyone wants to chime in with pros and cons of any of these or have any other preferences of a "must have" rum, please let me know. Mind you, Mai Tai's, Jet Pilots, and 151 Swizzles have been my go to drinks as of late.

My preferred local chain liquor store does not carry any agricole rums. I was thinking Clement or St James. Any preference of one over the other or which variation of either stands out?

I have El Dorado 12 which I love. Should I step up to 15 or even 21? I imagine I wouldn't mix with either of those, so at that price point are there better sippers to be had?

Thoughts on Angostura 1919 or 1824? Kinda really wanting to try Cate's 2070 Swizzle. Are these primarily taken neat or are there good mixing options for either?

Been hearing lots of positive things about Denizen and Lost Spirits lately. If I were to try one bottle of either brand, what would get me the most mileage?

Also, what are the best online shopping stores?

Wow, pick a rum, any rum!

Your 'wish list' is pretty much on the money mikehooker :)

Angostura 1824 was a bit woody for me whereas the Angostura 1919 is a lighter sipper - I serve it with clean conscious to normally non rum sipping guests because although it is a cheaper product, it's also good. Likewise I really should get round to trying the 2070 Swizzle.

I was once given a bottle if Planation 5 Star Barbados which I think is a great introductory sipper, light & easy to drink (but a bit sweet). I quite like Bacardi 8 too (for the same reasons but less sweet)

El Dorado 15 & Dorado 12 are both recommended - I can't pick between them as a favorite.

Clement VSOP Vs Saint James Rhum Vieux are both good - I cant fault either rhum, if you could only have one probably the Clement because it makes a better Donga Punch but the SJRV is great (I prefer sipping it).

If you like Jet Pilots etc, the Three Dots & Dash cocktail should be right up your alley.

I have all the above rums on my bar (except the Plantation & the Angostura 1824) so can whole heartedly recommend them.

If you were asking me:

I am curious some new market entrants (Lost Spirits rums, Denizen), would like to try some more whites I've not had (El Dorado 3, Plantation 3 star), new sippers (Papas Pillar, various Plantations) or just replenish some bottles that are low (Goslings 151, Pussers 15).

Plenty to get the in laws started on :)

I can second the Lost Spirits rum. Also, a great spiced rum called The Lash. Both pretty hard to find, so they would make great gifts.

Pages: 1 2 replies