Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Orchids of Hawaii lemon mix substitute?

Pages: 1 3 replies

H

I was thinking of trying out some of the recipes listed in the Orchids of Hawaii brochure from 1981. The one from this post:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25217&forum=10&hilite=orchids%20of%20hawaii%20guide

Some of the recipes call for Orchids of Hawaii Sweetened Lemon and some call for Orchids of Hawaii Unsweetened Lemon. These are listed on Page 3 of the brochure....R-165 for the Sweetened, R-166 for the unsweetened.

From the description, they look to be powder mixes.

I am guessing I can sub Lemon Juice for the unsweetened and Sour mix for the sweetened? Kinda looking for a confirmation from our better informed/educated/experienced brethern before I embark.

thanks

howlinowl

I wonder if Dynasty Wholesale aquired the formulas for those lemon mixes, like they did the molds for the mugs. If so, here's the (blurry) catalog page, where they show sweet and unsweet lemon mixes. They only sell a case, though. That's a lot of mix, if you aren't running a bar!
Dynasty Wholesale Fruit Concentrates & Powder Mixes
It's probably just similar to the powdered mix you can buy at many liquor stores, that makes a batch of sour mix.

I sure wouldn't bother with powder mixes. Screw authenticity if authenticity=1980s chemo-crap drinks. I think your plan of using fresh lemon and sour mix (homemade) is the way to go.

"If you keep on drinking rum, the world will soon be quit of a very dirty scoundrel."
Robert Louis Stevenson

[ Edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2014-11-02 16:28 ]

I concur! the hell out those sentiments, Rum....

Pages: 1 3 replies