Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Scottie's Trade Winds Room, Grand Rapids, MI (restaurant)

Pages: 1 4 replies

UT

Name:Scottie's Trade Winds Room
Type:restaurant
Street:1201 Sth. Division Ave.
City:Grand Rapids
State:MI
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
I have been lookin for years for anything remotely related to a classic Polyneasian bar in Grand Rapids. Being that the city is considered Michigan's second largest city I thought it should have had a poly themed restaurant back in the heyday of Tiki. Scottie's Trade Winds Room is the only trace I have found so far. Details are sketchy but we have the bones of a history to put some meat on. As far as I can tell the restaurant opened at the location in 1959. A fire had gutted the previous restaurant and a new one was opened. The location closed in 1966 or 1967. I read online that the interior was tropical and dimly lit. The menu is from 1961. Printed on very heavy card stock and has very colorful graphic. Luau dishes are listed as well as a few Polyneasian style cocktails. That's all the info I have for now but hopefully more will come to light.

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2014-11-03 16:02 ]

UT

Here is the location as it appears today.

UT

A couple more Grand Rapids locations that may merit more research. The former Sunrise restaurant.

And the Sweet Retreat ice cream shop on the outskirts of town.

Just got a matchbook from Scottie's! Such a surprise to know that there was once a tiki bar in GR!

I wish we could find some interior shots. The Traders Room sounds very interesting. Good find on the matchbook.

Pages: 1 4 replies