Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Kicking Myself - A Retro Shopper's Common Ailment

Pages: 1 10 replies

T

I just got home from a flea market where I left begind a 60's Lamperti italian plastic lamp. Got home, looked it up, and it's worth a fortune. I look at the time on the computer... it's 5:00. Market closed. Too late to go back. The guy wanted 45 bucks (Canadian) and I see it online for 185 US. Plus, It would have been great in the saucer house. WHY DIDN'T I BUY IT WHEN I SAW IT!!! Arrrggh!

I thought the seller was shady - all his other stuff was overpriced and some looked fake so I thought maybe this lamp wasn't as cool as I thought it was. I don't know. I must have had my brain addled from heatstroke from walking around all day.

How many times do I have to learn this stupid lesson?

T

On 2003-07-27 15:02, tikifish wrote:
so I thought maybe this lamp wasn't as cool as I thought it was.

'Cool' is relative to one criteria - YOUR opinion.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Anything you see is exactly as cool as you think it is.

No more, no less.

Okay, now that we've had our Zen and the art of thrift shopping lesson from Master Yoga, I have one other question:

Where, exactly, is that flea market, and are they open tomorrow...?
:)

T

I know, this is what kills me. I thought it was cool , I KNEW it would look great in my place, yet the shifty eyes and behaviour of the dealer made me second guess myself.

I normally buy what I think is cool, dealers be damned... like I said, it must have been the heatstroke.

W

I've left cool things behind because I didn't like the dealer or atmosphere. I can pretty much remember where I bought every item and I don't want to be reminded of some creep or bad experience. You probably didn't buy the lamp because the Heart Koi that lives in the Pool of Your Soul sensed bad juju-mojo-karma-fudge-ripple around the lamp which would have totally messed up the chai tea of your feng shui.

And none of us want Funky Feng Shui.
Mahalo,
Al

Well, I'm still going to go back next Sunday to try and get it if it hasn't been bought... Feng Shui be damned!

I think it was Al that told me - buy it when you see it, cause you won't get a second chance (well, you do, but it'll be about 300% more).

Fish,

Don't kick yourself-you probably didn't need it anyway. We have too much crap. I want to sell all of it and live what has been described as a simplier life. As Ronald Coleman says in 'Lucky Partners', "Some call it beachcombing."

T

I sold off most of my stuff when we moved into the saucer house - really pared down, got rid of almost everything but the mugs. Now I have to fill it up again, haha!

Plus, I like to upgrade - if I buy this lamp, it's better than my other plastic lamp, so I sell the cheaper one and replace it with the cool one. It's subsidized upgrading!

Saucer house? Like the saucer house in Colorado that was on eBay?? Do tell...

No no it's just a condo with big curved windows... we call it the saucer house cause it kinda looks like you're looking out at the world from inside a flying saucer.

Pages: 1 10 replies