Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Hawaii Tropical Rum Drinks and Cuisine vs. Little Hawaiian Tropical Drink

Pages: 1 5 replies

I just finished a "buy it now" on Ebay for the "Hawaii Tropical Rum Drinks and Cuisine" book authored by Phoebe Beach and her husband.

This one here:

http://www.amazon.com/Hawaii-Tropical-Drinks-Cuisine-Beachcomber/dp/1566474914

There is also another book they authored. "Don the Beachcomber's Little Hawaiian Tropical Drinks"

This one here:

http://www.amazon.com/Beachcombers-Little-Hawaiian-Tropical-Cookbook/dp/1566476925

I assume that the drink recipes in both books are the same? That the first book also has cuisine (food) recipes also?

I'd hate to purchase the second book also, just to find out that it hasn't any new or different drink recipes from the first that I've already purchased.

Thanks,
howlinowl

Yes and no... when an author pushes out multiple cookbooks that are direct competition for themselves (if they were both still in print at release) the may share some drink recipes while at the same time adding new ones to the newer book to give each something the other doesn't have.

J

The Don the Beachcomber's Little Hawaiian Tropical Drink book contains all the drink recipes from the larger Hawaii Tropical Rum Drinks & Cuisine book.

It is a physically a much smaller book length/width (hence little) and contains the exact drink pages only from the larger book.

No need to purchase if you own the larger book unless you would like a smaller version of the drink pages in a hardcover.

These books do not get a high rating in the authentic mixology community.

On 2014-11-16 13:15, bigbrotiki wrote:
These books do not get a high rating in the authentic mixology community.

So true, it seems to be Recipes from Dons circa the 1980s
not the most authentic or best time for our beloved Tiki cocktails.

Stick with the vintage recipe books & the Bum's books.

It's a similar situation with the Trader Vic's-published cocktail book.

Pages: 1 5 replies