Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Beachbum Berry's Latitude 29

Pages: 1 8 replies

Hi All,

Got back from a week in chilly N.O. a couple of days ago. And spent a few warm nights at The Bum's Latitude. Great time there: nice crowd, knowledgeable and friendly bartenders, terrific decor and got to meet The Beachbum. Not a large space. Drinks were beautifully balanced. Over four nights I tried:

• Navy Grog
• Nui Nui
• Zombie
• Latitude 29
• Mai Tai
• Suffering Bastard
• Prof Remberg's Punch

Most interesting for me were; Mai Tai (more Orgeat forward than what I've been making), Suffering Bastard (haven't tried it before, not crazy about ginger beer, but this was good!), and Prof Remberg's Punch, which was the highlight of the week (the "Caribe" syrup will apparently remain a secret in the best tradition).

Needless to say, if you are in New Orleans, this is a must visit.

Steve.

C
Colin posted on Fri, Nov 28, 2014 1:12 AM

Most interesting for me were; Mai Tai (more Orgeat forward than what I've been making), Suffering Bastard (haven't tried it before, not crazy about ginger beer, but this was good!), and Prof Remberg's Punch, which was the highlight of the week (the "Caribe" syrup will apparently remain a secret in the best tradition).

Needless to say, if you are in New Orleans, this is a must visit.

Steve.

That's excellent to hear. I travel to New Orleans most years in the spring — my favorite city to visit. That's at the top of my list next year (I'm back first week of March), and I want to visit Cane & Table, too.

Last year, I had the good fortune of discovering Tiki Tolteca, which is just a few blocks away from Latitude 29. Have you been? The first night we went, it was — bizarrely enough — hosting a graduation party for pharmacy students. Alas, none of the revelers could find humorous, yet extremely tasteful, refuge in the arms of the bar's wonderful Painkiller. It was more like a high-speed Cognac ad for 45 minutes until the loud, pointless energy dissipated into the ether, and we were able to enjoy the tiki bar in the peace with which it was imagined.

What do they make their Suffering Bastard with? Some bars go bourbon, but others mix rum and gin. I go for the latter, of course, since it involves rum.

Hi Colin, didn't visit Tiki Tolteca which is just around the corner from Latitude.
Suffering Bastard was made with "Dutch Gin and French Brandy". I didn't
catch either brand, but the Ginger Beer was "Fentiman's".

Just back from a fabulous five days in NOLA! Which included four trips to Latitude 29!! Beautiful place, knowledgeable, friendly and hospitable staff, and the drinks ... incredible, tasty, perfect. Meeting, thanking and talking with the Bum made he trip even more special. Already looking forward to a return visit. Enjoy some of the many photos.

I will be there Friday and Saturday for my bachelor party. So looking forward to it!

G

I was in NOLA a couple of weeks ago for the Congo Square music festival. I made 2 stops in Latatude 29; both times in the early afternoon to take a break and recharge for the evening. It's really an oasis from the crazy French Quarter streets. Beautiful decour, great soundtrack, and from my limited experience, fabulous drinks. I had intended to try several different cocktails, but honestly, the signature Latatude 29 was so good that's all I ordered.
Going early for happy hour worked out great; reasonable prices and there were just a few people there, allowing us to soak in the vibe.
If you're in NOLA, Go!

C
Colin posted on Sat, Apr 4, 2015 4:05 AM

On 2014-11-28 13:00, fridgebuzz wrote:
Hi Colin, didn't visit Tiki Tolteca which is just around the corner from Latitude.
Suffering Bastard was made with "Dutch Gin and French Brandy". I didn't
catch either brand, but the Ginger Beer was "Fentiman's".

I got a chance to visit Latitude 29 on my latest trip to New Orleans last month -- several times, in fact. One doesn't plan his vacation in regard to proximity to tiki bars then fail to consume a proper amount of rum, after all.

It's definitely a top-notch tiki bar with cool decor that everyone should endeavor to visit, whether in close sojourn or arduous journey. I was able to chat with the gracious Bum himself and his head bartender for a bit and try several of his tasty drinks, including a classic mai tai, a surprising Pontchartrain Pearl Diver, a refreshing Missionary's Downfall and a handful of other tiki drinks I would characterize as well-balanced and aesthetically pleasing.

I also made one visit to Cane and Table down the street — a proto-tiki bar that tried to evoke a Caribbean/Havana vibe — and a couple repeat visits to Tiki Toleca, which had done a redesign since last spring. One night was slow, the other extremely busy. Both times, the crack bartenders put out drinks that were a little more adventurous than the classics at Latitude 29. (Personally, I prefer the classics but if you're into Latin touches with your tiki drinks, this is your first stop.)

The main thing was that if you tried a mai tai at each, you wouldn't be shaking your head at despoiled cocktails, misplaced pineapple juice and cheap rum. These were three mai tais that would make Trader Vic smile. Finally, you can throw out those Pat O'Brien hurricanes. Good tropical cocktails have returned to the French Quarter.

F

Will be in town tomorrow... Very much looking forward swinging by for a cocktail or three.

We'll be back in NOLA again 9/28 - 10/1. Hope for many return visits and looking forward to seeing the Beachbum at some point.

Pages: 1 8 replies